Chinese-Forums

Chinese Calligraphy - Newbie

raincoat

Hi everybody... I've just started to learn chinese calligraphy a month ago. Found it quite interesting. I downloaded some 书法入门 from the internet but due to my vocab limitation, I can't really grasp the whole thing.

Is there any english version for this kind of books? Or is there any important things that I should be aware of? I know that I've broken my brush due to the way I wash it :) and I think I'm learning kaishu (for newbies). Thanks in advance!

raincoat,

if you're in Singapore there's going to be a Chinese calligrapher at NUS Museums on Saturday 19th - Mr Khoo Seow Hua, I think he'll be demonstrating both Chinese and Islamic calligraphy. Apparently he's written 17 books on calligraphy and conducts classes in both Chinese and English, so you could go down and talk to him...

More info at http://www.nus.edu.sg/museums/19032005.htm

Oh and this is my first ever post! Hello everyone :)

Hi,

Islamic AND Chinese calligraphy? Wow.

I'm a big fan of 书法. The only book I've ever seen in English is Johan Bjorksten's Learn to write Chinese characters, which is not bad for starters. See reviews on amazon.

And don't be fooled by those who say that only primary school children need to learn kaishu. As your confidence increases you can study many different styles and possibly even create your own, but a strong foundation in kaishu is priceless.

Len,

Thanks so much for the info. I would love to go but I'll be away on that day. Too bad :( I went to Bras Basah and found no english book in calligraphy. Are you learning too now? We welcome you to the forum! :)

Carlo,

Thanks very much for ur recommendation. I'll look into it. Oh, I'm learning kaishu now, I think. Haven't started yet, just learning the strokes. How long have u been into shufa?