Chinese-Forums

Displaying hanyu pinyin in programs...

Yuri

Hi there! This is my first post, ever, in this forum. So pls be gentle on me! :)

Anyways, does anyone know how to display hanyu pinyin in ,say, a program like Rosetta Stone? I'll admit that I'm really new to using Chinese, so please, pardon any issues. Oh, and err.. this software was borrowed from a library, so, if there were any instructions on how to display the hanyu pinyin, I did not receive them. :/

Anyway, here is the picture, for reference. :wink:

Click

Also, I've already installed "East Asian" languages and err... I've already set Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a to show the following settings:

IME1

IME2

I've tried tinkering around with the Regional and Language settings, further, including messing around with the Hanyu Pinyin settings but... I'm at a complete loss. Nothing seems to be working and I'm feeling really disappointed.

P.S. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum earlier on. I've deleted the thread which had been in the wrong forum. ^^;;

Well, here's what I did again(settings for IME taken from a post in another forum):

I uninstalled all other Chinese languages and left only Chinese(PRC) under the Language Bar settings. And I set my Microsoft IME 3.0 to these settings:

"input mode: full pinyin, fuzzy on, incomplete on

conversion mode: sentence

enable learning on

enable user-defined phrase on

candidate option: list style, prompt step by step on"

I also set my non-unicode to Chinese(PRC). But, the same problem is still happening in Rosetta Stone. Am I missing some fonts or something? I've even tried installing NJstar Communicator in the hope that it might have some fonts/settings that would help me but that was a no go too. :wall

Man, this is really really frustrating. I've even tried downloading the cdrom user guides but they are in Chinese. Okay, someone please shoot me... how does providing user guides in Chinese help someone who's learning beginner Chinese?

• 8 months later...

I know this is a little late but for those of you who may be having problems displaying the pinyin within 'Rosetta stone', here is the solution.

The problems is caused because most Chinese language learners have installed Input Method Editors (IMEs), and the 'Rosetta stone' software does not like this. A little stupid I know but take it up with them.

The fix is simple. Open up the program folder C:Program FilesThe Rosetta StoneThe Rosetta Stone . Right click the TheRosettaStone.exe executable, and open the 'properties' dialogue box. Click the 'Compatibility' tab, and check the 'Turn off advanced text services' box. Click 'OK' and restart your computer. The problem should now be solved.

Disabling the advanced text services will prevent you from typing Chinese characters within this software. As far as I am aware you don't need to do this since the software teaches us how to type Pinyin only.

Hey man,

thanks for that quick fix, I will try it out. I was having the same problem with Rosetta Stone and I had changed my regional settings to English. This was a pain when downloading any files that were in Mandarin, I would get file names like this "¡ºUkOo.NeT¡»ÖܽÜÂ× 11ÔµÄÏô°î[VBR]". I will change my settings back to Chinese and setup the exe as you described.

You rule. If it don't work, I will retrack that statement. :)