Chinese-Forums

A computerized tutorial to help me learn how to read do re mi...

Pengyou

It depends what you mean by "do re mi stuff". :)

There is "fixed do" solfege, in which the solfege syllables are substitutes for CDEFGAB, or "movable do" solfege, in which the solfege syllables are substitutes for the scale degrees 1234567.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solf%C3%A8ge.

To drill yourself, just grab a piece of western music and start saying the corresponding solfege names. You can do that in reverse if you have a piece of music that lists the solfege syllables, or play on your instrument.

I think the OP is talking about cipher notation, which is popular in China. I never learned to read it fluently, but I think if you see it more, you might be able to do it faster, starting with a mostly conjunct melody, with simple rhythms, at a slow tempo. Then progress to more complicated melodies and many lines.

It's the same as movable do solfege, only with numbers rather than with "do re mi". What do you mean by "reading the music"? If you want to translate this into staff notation, it's really easy -- choose a key signature and take one line or space on the staff as your starting point, then count from there. You can practice this in your head until it becomes second nature. There are free apps eg on the iphone to train movable do.