Chinese-Forums

Smartphone, PC and txt files containing characters

HedgePig

I have some txt files containing Chinese text on my laptop which I emailed to myself. I then opened the email on my smartphone and saved the files on it. However, when I open the txt file in Pleco reader I see some strange characters in random places.

1) The file was saved as unicode file from within Excel. If I open it with another application (eg Word or Notepad) on the PC, it looks fine.

2) It's not a Pleco problem since when I open it with another application (e.g. jota or a text editor) on my smartphone, I see the weird characters.

3) If I email the file back to myself and open it on the laptop, the weird characters are there. The emailed back file is also slightly larger.

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on here? It seems as if the file is somehow becoming corrupted in the email transfer.

I'm using gmail and a Samsung Galaxy S3 - and previously haven't had problems that I recall. If I directly connect my phone to my laptop via a USB cable and transfer the file - then I have no problems!

Hi gato. I can't actually open it directly in gmail on my smartphone - gmail prompts me to open it in another app (Pleco, Jota, etc.)

However, I tried opening from gmail on my laptop and it's corrupted - so I guess it's either been corrupted somewhere between the original email account I sent it from (not gmail but a work email) and gmail.

It's very bizarre that it would be only slightly corrupted - but enough to make it not worth using.