Chinese-Forums

Learning to read Chinese

nininininini

• New Members

Recently I got interested in learning Chinese. There's a whole web of resources and information. I can't really get a clear picture of it all. There's the traditional Hanzi, simplified Hanzi and then another pronunciation system Pinyin. I would very much like to be able to read Chinese. How would I go with this? I'm simply looking to read Chinese books, in Chinese. However, that's not all, ultimately I'd like to learn spoken Mandarin too. Would learning the characters be sufficient as a starter? If I learned the characters, pegging them to English words, would this hinder my learning to read them aloud later when I learn spoken Mandarin?

Simply said what I'm asking is "How do I learn to read?" Any suggestions, anyone?

As a native Chinese I can tell you,If you want to read and write Chinese,you need to learn Hanzi one by one,no short cut.

Don't want to remember it alone,you will forget it soon.You 'd better try to remember it in using it.You should read

Chinese article as more as you can.When you meet some Hanzi you can not read,then stop and consult the dictionary.And

go forward after you fix it.Day by day,when you learn enough Hanzi,you will read Chinese fluently.

That's my advise,hope it helpful and wish you to make progress.

There's the traditional Hanzi, simplified Hanzi and then another pronunciation system Pinyin.

Traditional hanzi and simplified hanzi are two ways to write the same thing. I find it useful to think about them like British and American English, or like old Portuguese and old Brazilian orthography (the two have been merged in the meantime). If you learn to read one of them, the other one will come easily, don't let that discourage you.

Pinyin is a system for writing the pronunciation of spoken Mandarin using the Latin alphabet. It will not help you read Chinese, but it's easy to learn and important for speaking and even listening.

I have read the above replies but still find it hard to understand why or even how you could just learn to read. How can you just learn to read without picking up speaking on the way. I think learning speaking, reading and writing all together is a much better use of your time. When you start to learn to speak it will be almost like starting again.

IMHO I would do it all together.

Best of luck

Even if I don't really make big efforts to learn to speak (as in, be able to have a conversation in Chinese), I wouldn't learn characters without learning their pronunciation at the same time (be able to read aloud in Chinese).

Pronouncing adds two other ways of remembering a character (hearing it and moving your mouth to make the sounds), and since a lot of characters have a phonetic component it also helps categorize them in your head. Even though my visual memory is much better than my auditory memory, there are so MANY characters that any kind of help is welcome.

Also sometimes when reading, I encounter a character that I have learnt but can't remember its meaning outright, then I remember how to say it (perhaps I have associated the tone with a certain stroke, like the little horn of 牛 which is a downwards stroke but still gives the character a rising aspect in my eyes, so I remember it's 2nd tone) and the meaning comes back with the sound because I have said aloud many times : niu2 = cow when learning and reviewing the character. (Of course in many cases this will involve pronouncing several characters which form a word, not just isolated characters).

(Other ways of remembering characters involve tracing (writing) them, and of course learning them as combinations of radicals and phonetic elements instead of a series of individual strokes).

Also it is true that you will need to learn 1500+ characters (and many many words) before you can start reading interesting stuff... and the first few hundreds will take a lot of effort as you struggle with strokes and components and characters that look alike but have a slight difference which changes the meaning. Like 千干,土士,牛午 (and these are still easy characters with few strokes). It gets somewhat easier later, but it's still a very long endeavour.

Learning Chinese Characters, by Alison Mathews & Laurence Matthews (Tuttle, 2007) gives mnemonic techniques for students of Chinese to remember the shape, meaning, and Mandarin sounds of the 800 characters of "HSK Level A" vocabulary list. I initially found that it was effective, but I became concerned about learning my self-anglicized pronunciation of the pinyin at a time when I had not correctly learned to pronounce pinyin. So, I am saving the book for later. In fact, I am saving the book until I have finished Pimsleur's pure audio instruction of Mandarin and until I am sure that I have mastered McGraw-Hill's Chinese Pronunciation book and audio-video CD.

While I was studying Learning Chinese Characters, I found that it was becoming increasingly difficult as my vocabulary grew because I was not just trying to learn characters one at a time, but also trying to remember many characters at the same time. It's not a natural way to learn. Native speakers naturally become fluent in core words and then add from there -- they don't learn more of the language without some core fluency ab initio. As such, I am going to finish Pimsleur's Mandarin audio lessons and then dig into the characters.

Learning Chinese Characters claims that it could be used for study by those who only want to learn to read Chinese, not to speak it. That seems improbable because the differences in grammar between Chinese and English are not easy to master without serious practice, and grammar is as much a part of the meaning of the combined words as the words themselves. Serious practice with all the grammatical forms of the language would be important to reading the language.

Nonetheless, the book's method for learning the shape, meaning, and approximate Mandarin sounds of the characters is effective. In fact, I bemoan the fact that the authors have not already produced subsequent volumes for the entire HSK test levels. An interesting thread on this forum has already discussed the issue of what books best teach Chinese characters: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/19969-heisig-vs-matthews/

Also sometimes when reading, I encounter a character that I have learnt but can't remember its meaning outright, then I remember how to say it (...) and the meaning comes back with the sound because I have said aloud many times

Same experience here. However the opposite is even more frequent, i.e. there are so many characters whose meaning I know or have no difficulty learning, but I have a hard time learning their pronunciation and, worse, I keep forgetting it.