Chinese-Forums

Metal, Rock & Punk: Chinese Underground Music

Azchael

Hi there,

China is not only rich in culture of the past 5000 years, but has also present cultural pieces of art to appreciate. In the musical sector this also includes the Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk and Post Punk Scene.

The following webpage http://china.painkillermag.com is an English-language webpage dedicated only to Chinese underground music (esp. Heavy Metal), introducing bands, such as Ritual Day (Shi Jiao Ri), Tang Dynasty (Tang Chao), Hollow, Twisted Machine, Yaksa and many more.

Check out the development of Chinese Rock, Punk and Metal from the beginnings of Cui Jian via He Yong and Chao Zai up to the present Rebellion of Denial at http://www.painkillermag.com/china/History.html.

Have a look at China's present scenes, such as Beijing or Shanghai at http://www.painkillermag.com/china/Szene.html and if you have time then come to one of the following concerts:

March 5th, Shanghai Harley's Bar: Rock Concert.

March 21st, Shanghai, Sonic Bastards and Loudspeaker rumble in the House.

Rock On!!!

Azchael

Hi there,

Indeed, it is the first English page of this kind. About one year ago, I tried myself to find some information about Metal or Rock in China, but it was devastating: There was nothing available in English! Just two reports from foreigners who had visited a concert a few years ago in Beijing, but even this was pretty much uninteresting, as they had no idea, whom they were listening to.

So I decided to set something up by myself and a few friends of mine (from the Chinese Heavy Metal Magazine Painkiller and some others from Xi'an) helped me to gather a few information. But most of the infos about bands had been translated by me (with the help of online tools) or written by myself (such as the scene reports about BJ).

I just love Chinese Rock'n'Roll and Metal and want to spread the knowledge about it around the world. Because when I came to China I thought there is NOTHING, no Rock, no Punk, no anything... :)

Thanks for your support!!!

Rock on!

Azchael

I haven't had time to look at the site in detail, and it's not an area I know much about anyway, but if you can get information previously available only in Chinese out there in English, then you're doing a great job. There's very often a perception of 'China doesn't have X, Y, or Z' when in fact it's just very difficult to find.

Roddy

That's exactly how it happened to me...

I still remember going to some shops in China a few years ago, trying to find anything with a guitar and I got some Cui Jian and Tang Dynasty records, but didn't know what to do with them, as my friend only could tell me: They are famous, I listened to them when I was young :(

And without understanding the meaning of the lyrics (at that time, my Chinese was 'zero'), the music does not reveal it's real message.

Rock on!

Azchael