Chinese-Forums

屌丝 - is there an equivalent in English?

tooironic

@IrisLu Hmm, I think 老古板 is different to "square" in that it's a largely negative word used to describe someone as overly conservative. Similar to "old fogy" in English. It doesn't have that connotation of "the antonym of cool" that "square" does.

Here's the English definition of "fogy" for your reference:

fogey/fogy |ˈfōgē|(also fogy )

noun ( pl. fogeys or fogies )

a person, typically an old one, who is considered to be old-fashioned or conservative in attitude or tastes: a bunch of old fogeys.

• 3 weeks later...

No job, no girlfriend, no money, no family with influence, no future, not good looking, and loves DOTA/WOW = 屌丝

I remember walking I was sitting in a tea house one day with my shoes off, and when my friends noticed that they were off they started laughing and saying that's so 屌丝。There is also another word which basically means 太屌丝, but I forgot it at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

屌丝 is not an equivalent of a loser in English. Rather, it represents the majority of Chinese people who are not born rich or whose parents are in the bureaucratic systems (in Chinese, those people are "Fu Er Dai“ or ”Guan Er Dai“, which I think, is the exactly opposite of "Diao Si"). "Diao SI" have to struggle very hard in order to support themselves and their families, yet they can never be a success as they believe China society makes it impossible for them to be successful. So they feel hopeless....

Weibo is obsessed with 男女屌丝.

This is a new set of definitions for 2013.

"Does not have more than 1000 yuan on hand. No long-haul flights the last 5 years. Smokes cheap cigarettes. Car worth less than a 100 000. Fewer than 3 girlfriends before marriage..."

Doesn't that fit the vast majority of people in China?

Doesn't that fit the vast majority of people in China?

Isn't that the point echosh is making? That its everyone who isn't guan er dai or fu er dai? The scmp article that count_zero posted describes diaosi as the Chinese everyman, which seems apt.