Chinese-Forums

Famous Chinese Artists

skylee

This thread is relevant -> Controversial and Billionaire painter

With Wu Guanzhong and Zhao Wuji gone (Zhao passed away in Switzerland a few days ago), who else are there? I know very little about arts in general, and therefore know only a few names, such as 蔡國強 (Cai Guoqiang), 岳敏君 (Yue Minjun), 艾未未 (Ai Weiwei), 徐冰 (Xu Bing).

I googled the four names above and found this page -> The Ten Chinese Artists Whom You Should Know

I would appreciate more information on prominent Chinese artists.

I think Lin Tianfang is the biggest female artist. Sorry - at work right now and can't type Pinyin or Hanzi on this computer.

How comes you are interested in artists? Just asking out of curiosity. I'm art hisorian nd find it difficult to expand my vocabulary on art. It's just not your typical topic for vocabulary books.

If we can judge by the surge of interest in Chinese art by the large international auction houses, there has been renewed enthusiasm among contemporary painters in China for large-scale ink painting done in the traditional and more modern styles ... Liu Guosong 刘国松, Gu Wenda 谷文达, Yang Jiecang 杨诘苍 , Li Huayi 李华弌, Liu Dan 刘丹, Xu Bing 徐冰, Qiu Zhijie 邱志傑 ...

• 1 month later...

Somewhat related on the contemporary art subject. (Note to self, to re-launch Chinese *Activities* thread....)

Sorry Skylee, I'm assuming that you cannot attend, but perhaps some forum members would be interested if they are nearby where this event will be held (Los Angeles, California):

Looking Back, Looking Forward: Contemporary Chinese Art, 1976-Present

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

3:30 PM - 4:30 PM

UCLA, Dodd 161

Emphasizing the diversity and complexity of art making in China, this talk will trace the development of contemporary art in China in the last four decades from the late 1970s to today, including artists working in mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and those of the diaspora. Recently there has been an explosion of interest in contemporary art from China. Domestically, the enthusiasm coincides with China’s rapid economic, social, and political transformation. Internationally, such a fascination is partly driven by the country’s rising status in the global economy. Within these frames, Chinese art has largely been seen either as a derivative of Western art, or an extension of the country’s centuries-old art tradition. These approaches have obscured a critical understanding of the trajectory of contemporary Chinese art, and to some degree, perpetuated the misconception that contemporary art in China is mainly market-driven. Identifying several art movements and historicizing their significance, this talk will demonstrate that contemporary art in China is conditioned and shaped by the country’s unique history and culture, which provides a fertile land for artistic experimentations.

• 1 month later...