Chinese-Forums

Moving provinces and changing phone numbers?

NOK

Hi,

I am planning a move from Jiangxi Province to Beijing and was wondering if I would have to get a new phone number? Ive heard that different provinces have different numbers etc. I really dont want to change numbers, so is there a way to retain my number but somehow convert it to a Beijing one?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I take it you are talking about a cell phone. Your Jiangxi number will continue to work in Beijing. The problem will be that when you call your next door neighbour or anyone else in in Beijing, the call will be charged as a call from Jiangxi. You will pay long distance prices for local calls, but local call prices if you call Jiangxi.

There is no way to "convert" your number.

I'm sorry, but a new number is the only sensible option.

• Like 1

Yeah, can't be done. Your phone number actually links to a place - ie, these are all Beijing numbers. I'd guess there might be technical reasons for this - much easier to route phone calls if you don't need to look up where it is?

I suspect you'd pay long distances for Beijing>Jiangxi calls though - can't see them passing up an opportunity to charge. Check your tariff though.

I suspect you'd pay long distances for Beijing>Jiangxi calls though

I only know that when I visit Beijing or Shanghai and call back to Guangxi where my phone originates, I only pay local call charges. Done it often. But yes, it may depend what tariff you are on.

Yes as mentioned above you can't switch the number and change the (area code) as such. You can still use your phone you will just be paying more than you really want to and so will those who call you. Also if you register your passport when you get your new number with the mobile company you won't have to get a new number when you loose your phone. This has been super helpful for us as I have repeatedly lost my phone on buses and taxis etc.