Chinese-Forums

Has anyone read 藏地密码 (Tibet Code)?

muirm

I saw this article, which piqued my interest in this series (I hadn't heard of it before). I also saw that user bande read the first two books a couple years ago, but there hasn't been any chinese-forums.com activity surrounding this series since. Has anyone completed the entire series? Would it be a good choice of modern writing style to balance out kung fu novels?

recent years there are a lot chinese books about mystery stuff such as Tibet Code. have you ever heard The Secret of Grave Robber? that's more popular. and most these books are in one serie called 读客(reader), logo is a panda reading a book. in fact, kung fu novel is rarely published in recent years, have you see any kung fu novel published in 2012? recommand it to me, thx~

• 2 months later...

I actually read two of them (book 8 and 9) as part of the preliminary work for the article's announcement. They're entertaining enough. Imagine a Tibetan-Chinese Indiana Jones joined by a mixed group of special forces soldiers and Tibetan monks in the near future, racing against a group of foreign tomb-raiders to find a treasure-trove of religious artifacts hidden in a lost Shangri-La somewhere in the Himalayas. There's lots of gunfights, arcane knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism, and grisly wonders of the ancient world. Read here for more: http://www.bruce-humes.com/?p=...

As far as the writing goes...It's got some weird stuff and a lot of pseudo-military type language (a lot of weapon and tactic descriptions) and a good deal of Tibetan mythology/history (a little tricky to understand or find good references for). It's very modern Chinese in the sense that it's pretty...melodramatic?...at times. Lots of firefights everyone gets injured in but can manage to keep going, lots of patriotic-type hero moments, lots of "Nooooooooooo!"-type moments when someone gets hurt. Also very modern-Chinese, it's very gory at times. On the whole, they're pretty fun. When I find the time, I'd like to read the last one to see how it all wraps up.

• Like 1