Chinese-Forums

Should I learn Cantonese?

ekul

• New Members

I'm 15 and I come from a Cantonese background however I grew up learning English instead of them both, my brother was mute for several years of his life so they decided for me only to teach me English. My family (parents and grandparents) speak Teochew around the house but occasionally speak Cantonese so I have managed to pick up some words and phrases. The problem is that I fall at the first hurdle with my inability to distinguish certain tones and when to use them. I never honestly cared about me not knowing Cantonese until I started to hang out with my Cantonese friends which I openly told them that I didn't know how to read, speak or write Cantonese. They have taught me some simple (some rude) phrases and are constantly telling me to learn Cantonese. I asked my parents and they are concerned that I want to learn this, they say Mandarin is a better alternative. I have been rolling over the idea but I don't know which one to learn. All my family and lots of my friends (about 6) know Cantonese, I feel embarrassed that I can't speak to them especially with my grandparents. Plus most of the Chinese people in Britain speak Cantonese. However with Mandarin they said I conduct business and trade but I don't think I would to ever get into a job which would be beneficial to use Mandarin. Cantonese is much harder to learn according to my parents. What should I learn?

English?

PS - But seriously, I think your parents are right (that Mandarin is easier and generally more useful, particularly if you want to write in Chinese like an educated person). But if so many people around you speak in Cantonese, why don't you just ask your parents and grandparents to teach you? They won't teach you something rude I am sure. Even Indonisian domestic workers can speak Cantonese after living in Cantonese speakers' homes for a year or two.

Also, watching HK TV programmes with your family/friends would help.

PPS - It does not have to be an either/or situation. You could learn Cantonese first (as you are interested and there are people to help you), and Mandarin later.

What language you should learn depends on who you want to talk to. If you want to be able to as many Chinese people as possible, for example for job-related things, Mandarin is the best choice. But if you want to talk with your Canto-speaking friends and family, you should learn Cantonese. If you learn one reasonably well, the other will be easier if you later decide to learn that too.

With plenty of people to talk Cantonese with, you're in a pretty good environment to learn that language. Good luck!

I agree with Lu. It depends on your interest. I personally like being bilingual because it is fun and there are some things you just can't translate into another language "properly". As in, some languages you can really only appreciate its beauty when it is said in its own language. However, do keep in mind that don't change yourself to be someone or do something else because you want to fit in. Of course unless that "change" is something you enjoy then go for it.

• 7 months later...