Chinese-Forums

HELP! 90-day L Visa Question

kico28

• New Members

Hello everyone,

In June I will be a first-time visitor to China! I'm seeking a 3-month, one-entry, 90-day L visa; BUT I have a problem!

I'm wanting to stay for 82 days and I hear that the day the visa is issued (for a 90 day, 3-month valid L visa) is equivalent to the entry date. That is, day 1 of 90 STARTS when the visa is issued and NOT when I first step foot into China.

Is this true?? Can someone verify or disclaim this statement and provide a source (if possible?).

If true, this would be a problem because by the time I arrive in China, I will have lost around 14 of the 90 days, thus leaving me with only 76 days, which would be a problem (the folks I'm staying w/ are quite stringent).

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Kico (Sarasota, Florida, USA)

p.s. also, do you know if the day the consulate recieves your application is considered as the issue date on the visa?

Agree with @Fanglu, above. I'm sure of it. Your fears are groundless.

Here's a source: http://www.china-emb...zgqz/t84246.htm

Visa Validity and Duration of Stay

Usually the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry "L" visa is 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa will be expired and is null and void. Normally the duration of stay of a "L" visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry. If your estimated stay in China is longer than 30 days, please make it clear in the application form and ask for the Visa Officer's approval when you submit your application..

Bear in mind that since this is your first China trip, they might not give you a 90 day visa. You can specify what you would like, but they are under no obligation to give it to you.

• New Members

Thank you for this help, but I'm still worried, for I have found in the China Lonely Planet guide the following:

"A 30-day visa is activated on the date you enter China, and must be used within three months of the date of issue. The 60-day and 90-day visas are activated on the date they are issued."

Do you guys think this can be correct, given that it comes from a reputable guide?

I've tried calling the Chinese consulate but it's always busy...

Thank you for you help, it means a lot!

There are two separate clocks ticking. They are easy to confuse.

1. The validity period clock. You have to use the visa by entering China within 90 days of the time it was issued.

2. The duration of stay clock. This clock starts ticking when you enter China. It's how long you can stay there.

Did you read the China consulate website that I posted above? Seems pretty straight forward. I don't think the information that you quoted above from Lonely Planet can be accurate as it stands.

PS: You will probably never get through to the China Consulate, and if you do you are likely to speak with a low level clerk who will be evasive and unwilling to make you any promises. It won't relieve your anxiety.

If you need additional reassurance, one way to try to get it might be to call a reliable visa service and ask about it on the phone. For that matter, call several to see if they all say the same thing.

In your upcoming China adventure you will encounter many uncertainties. This is just the first of many. You will often hear things that don't agree with each other. The bus leaves at 8. No it leaves at 9.

If you have great difficulty with issues of this type, might want to rethink your China plans. China is not a land of high precision.

• Like 2