Chinese-Forums

Train: Beijing--->Shanghai

Zhende ma?

I have an interview in Shanghai on 3/12 and currently being in Beijing I want to know the best way to get there. I'm assuming airplanes at this late date may be more than I want to pay, and I'm looking at trains. How much are they and what is a good one to take? How long does it take to get to Shanghai?

The T (特快) designated trains are definitely the way to go, but you should buy your tickets as early as possible, I took it last August with my family, apparently the 鐵路局 has replaced almost all of the rolling stock on the main tourist lines, the train we took departed Beijing around 5 or 6 in the evening, it was almost up to European standards: clean, bright, well designed interiors, they even had flat screen tv's in the stylish lounge/dining car! This train gets you into Shanghai by early the next morning (6-7ish), perfectly rested for the new day (savae for a shower). I think one way soft sleeper was about 500人民幣, if you don't want to deal with the hassle of going to Beijing Station, you can try getting the tickets at the 民航大廈 by 東直門, I think there are other places in the city to purchase them but I can't remember where. You should go to the 民航大廈 anyway and just check out the flight prices, you can try and haggle with them a little bit (usually around 10 percent) but you have to bring cash (unless you're flying 國航)

Check out the plane ticket prices anyway - I've just got back from a weekend in Qingdao ( :clap ) and despite booking on Tuesday to fly Thursday and return today, the tickets only cost me 850 inc taxes - not dirt cheap, but I expected to pay more booking so late. I usually check prices on ctrip.com and then try and wheedle the local travel agent into finding me a better price.

If you do take the train, the last word in luxury is the new Z trains. 499 single, but they are plush and you get a free meal which puts Chinese airlines to shame. Which isn't difficult.

A lot of travel agents are hooked up to the ticket network and can check availability and print out the ticket immediately.

Travel time is about 12 hours by train, which means if you get an early evening train you get to Shanghai early morning, which is perfect. A lot of trains are timed to take advantage of this.

Roddy

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to have a month on the mainland (from taiwan) in the summer and my dream of taking my motorbike there is dead so train seems like next best options.

Do these rules apply for other train travel thru China? Any good websites to get train info on china?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...