Chinese-Forums

where to buy old and rare books in shanghai

yangz

This is a very good question, that I do not know the answer to.

In the past I've gone to http://www.kongfz.com/ looking for old books (and was successful in locating/ordering what I wanted).

You could also look on Taobao for stores that list their inventory online, or post this question in Chinese on Douban.com.

Please post the results of your research, I would like to know what you find.

• Like 1

What kind of books are you looking for? Many shops around touristy locations sell antiques and old books. Most of the books from that era though seem to be propaganda comics. And I don't know if they are authentic or not.

Sometimes you can buy old books (from last century) in China at local flea markets and the like. I can't speak for Shanghai, but this is where I've personally come across them.

Thank you guys.

To msitting: These are great suggestions. I will try to search there and let you know.

To anonymoose: One of the books I am looking for are 红小兵. They are little proganda magazines for kids during 60s, 70s and maybe 80s. I am going to buy them as collectibles. Also some books about wildlife and nature for young readers.\

To Tooironic: I will be in Shanghai for couple of days. I will keep that in mind.

To Carlo: I will be stay in Beijing for couple of days as well. When I have some free time, I will definitely check into that bookstore.

Once again, thank you very much. This is a great help.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I delayed my trip from May of this year to the end of coming september. So I am not there yet. But I will definitely scout out those recommanded locations. I also checked out online sites such as 998877.com as well, and did find some books I liked. But they are chinese sites. I would like to buy books there too but don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.