Chinese-Forums

Military Surplus clothing in Beijing

ChTTay

Hey,

Trying to track down a large military clothing store or market or just an area with quite a few smaller stores.

Been looking in forums, websites, directories and can't find much to go on. I read that there is or used to be a large PLA Military Surplus store but I've found a few different addresses and posts by people saying they can't find that place anyway.

Where I used to live there were these kinds of shops all over but haven't noticed any since I moved to Beijing. I don't get out into the rest of Beijing that much though.

Thanks for your help!

Military surplus stores are a Western thing. I've never seen one in China. The Communist countries never disposed of old military stuff, they stored it "just in case". The Warsaw Pact nations had armories full of mint-condition rifles from the 1930s when the Cold War ended. I don't know about Beijing but around here there are plenty of small shops where you can buy military and security guard clothes.

I think 军品店 is what you want to be searching for. There's this. I seem to remember a few on the left side of the road as you walked north from Xizhimen to Wenhuiqiao, but that's going back quite some years.

"Military surplus stores are a Western thing. I've never seen one in China"

I mean stores that sell military clothing, not the ones in fancy malls though. There are loads around China, but in Beijing I just don't know where they are!

Roddy, thanks! That is essentially what I meant, although a bit fancier than I'm used to. I posted once about needing a curtain to cover the gap between balcony and my room, in response you mentioned going and buying one of those big military style door covers that shops use. The place that sells those doesn't sell clothing?

Where I used to live there were a lot of small market stalls and small shops piled high with military type stuff. I remember seeing a shop like that somewhere in Beijing, but can't remember where. This would be where you buy the green/khaki plimsolls you see migrant workers, farmers etc wearing... also those giant, thick green coats that go down to the ankle.

I know exactly the kind of place you mean, and know exactly where you should go in 2009. Today, less sure.

I've always assumed those big green blankets come from an army supplies type store, but I've never actually bought one so I'm not sure.

• 3 months later...