Chinese-Forums

L-visa (M) re-entry possible without leaving Beijing?

joshua.r

I am here in Beijing with a Multiple entry, 90day L-visa. It shows an "Enter before" date near the end of May and my first 90 day period ends just before that. I have been studying Mandarin at a private school and would like to stay the summer in Beijing in order to use what I have learned or I will feel as if I squandered my time and money. So my question is...

Is it possible to get a re-entry stamp without leaving Beijing?

Common knowledge seems to say go to Hong Kong but I have seen some hint within this forum that there may be another way though I didn't find anything specific. I would like to avoid the cost of Hong Kong as I am living off my savings while here.

Could you clarify your situation please? Is your visa a one-year visa with multiple 90-day stays or is it a 90-day visa? The two are not the same. If you have the latter, you don't just need a re-entry stamp, you need a new visa (sometimes confusingly called a "visa extension.")

Is it possible to get a re-entry stamp without leaving Beijing?

Don't think so. To the best of my knowledge, it must be done at the border.

Common knowledge seems to say go to Hong Kong but I have seen some hint within this forum that there may be another way though I didn't find anything specific.

Type "visa run beijing" into Google Search and you can evaluate other options such as Mongolia and Korea. Those are alternatives to Hong Kong.

The enter before date is relevant because that's the date after which the op can't enter china. To stay in china another 90 days the op needs to leave and re-enter china before the enter before date. The op is asking if there's any way their passport can leave and re-enter china without them having to go with it (or if they could get the stamps without the passport leaving and re-entering).

I would advise against either option. It would be highly illegal and if you got caught I could see that type of immigration offence being the type of thing that would get you deported and blacklisted.

The PSB in Beijing could help you out, but it might mean cancelling the current visa and giving you a new one, and you may not get the 90 days.

I've heard of people taking buses to the Mongolian border (maybe on here, not sure) but it didn't sound all that much fun. My preference would be the train to Hong Kong and back.

The enter before date is relevant because that's the date after which the op can't enter china.

Agree. Sorry, @Fanglu, I did a "ninja edit" while you were typing your reply.

The PSB in Beijing could help you out, but it might mean cancelling the current visa and giving you a new one, and you may not get the 90 days.

Where is the PSB in Beijing? Is it the local police station or something else? I think I should have been there already to register because I have been renting a room from a local for the past month. And considering that I am late to register, do you think they would want to help me with a visa?

I didn't want to be the one to have to break this to you, but you may be in trouble. You were supposed to register within the first 24 hours. It's not a rare mistake, however, and sometimes they are lenient. On the other hand, you may have to pay a fine. Best to be contrite and not argumentative.

First order of business should definitely be a trip to the paichusuo 派出所 that services your immediate neighborhood and get your foreigner registration straightened out. Your landlord or your real estate agent may need to come along. (Ask them where to go and if they need to accompany you.) You will need to provide photocopies of your documents (passport and visa) as well as a passport style mug shot or two (policies vary on that.)

The branch of the PSB that handles entry and exit issues is different from the neighborhood branch (paichusuo) mentioned above. I don't live in Beijing and don't know where it is. But I think Roddy is mistaken about that being your best move. You just need to exit China and re-enter before this current 90-day period ends, thus getting a new stamp in your passport; you don't need to get a new visa.

But first and foremost, you need to get properly registered so that you are in China legally.

Thank you all for the responses, especially abcdefg.

I will get together with my roommate and correct my registration. The hotel I stayed at for the first 30 days did handle registration upon my arrival in China, however I have moved into an apartment and have been ignoring the issue for the last month. I should have notified PSB of my move, am I correct?

Then I will plan a quick trip to another intriguing Asian country. abc, thanks for the link about the Mongolian crossing but it sounds a bit rough. I wil save that for more desperate times.

I deal with a few hundred visas a year, so here my two cents worth:

- you have to leave China to get the next 90 days. Cheapest trip is Seoul (I just saw a trip for 900 RMB return). I am still waiting for someone with the balls to try walking through border controls at Beijing airport, get an exit stamp and walk back in a few hours later. Theoretically that should work, but I have no idea if it would. If you do it, please let us know how it went :lol: However, if you want to be save, spend a weekend in Seoul

- for the registration, yes do get registered, but do not get freaked out. Very few people register within 24 hours and this rules is not really enforced. Though I am sure someone on here can come up with a story of someone who got into trouble, however I first came here in 1999 and since then not one foreigner I knew got into trouble because of this here in Beijing - it might be different in other cities, I do not know, but thats how it is in the capital.

- to register you have to go to your local police station. Your landlord should know where it is. Different police stations have different requirements in Beijing, however you most likely will need your rental contract, proof of the landlord owning the house and in many (but not all) cases the landlord needs to be present with his ID

Last point: you school should be able to help you out with all this information. Go look for whoever is in charge of visas and sit down with him/her