Chinese-Forums

Can I transfer my X Visa to work-full time and at the same time continue studying?

diste01

Hi everyone,

I am a full-time student on a 2 year Masters course in Shanghai. I took all classes in the first year and in 4-5 weeks that will be it. Next year I just have to write and defend my thesis so I have been looking at work opportunities in the city.

I recently attended the interview and in the end I was asked if I am allowed to work on X visa (full-time). It's a big corporation and they won't be risking any legal issues so this is really important. Their HR department can find out but I would like to get this info for myself.

I have researched some on this and I cannot work on X visa - internship is ok. The company can assist me in getting Z visa, however, will I be able to continue studying on Z visa? I am also on Shanghai Government Scholarship. Ideally I would get the Z visa, start working full-time while writing my thesis.

Has anyone had any experience with it or knows who I could ask? Student Office seems to be of very little help.

Thanks

Pete

You can continue to work on your thesis while working on a Z-visa / residence permit.No problem.

A transfer is more problematic.

A Z-visa is not really a working visa; it is an entry visa which allows you enter China take up authorised employment, but it must be changed within 30 days to a residence permit with the "purpose of residence" being stated as 就业. You may therefore have to leave to apply for the Z-visa. It depends on which way the visa guy's chicken entrails fall that day.

Hey liuzhou,

So what you are saying here is that I should leave the country, get Z visa say in HK then come back and convert it to the residence permit? The company can assist me in that so it's no problem.

However, Im thinking what school is going to say. Once I get my student visa removed will I really be able to continue studying, Im also on Shanghai Government Scholarship so am wondering if this is really possible or I lose everything then. Will they be somehow notified by the authorities? Im really not sure...

Would you by chance know the source of the information you have provided me with? Is it written anywhere on any websites? It's not that I don't believe you it's just that I need to be absolutely sure about it in order to take next steps.

Appreciate your help!

So what you are saying here is that I should leave the country, get Z visa say in HK then come back and convert it to the residence permit? The company can assist me in that so it's no problem.

I'm only saying perhaps. Some people seem to have obtained Z-visas in HK. Others have been ordered back to their home countries.

I'd be very surprised if the school say anything. But if you are so worried contact Shanghai. ( I wouldn't - my experience in China suggests that if you don't ask, you won't get the answer you don't want.)

As to finding this information on a website. Yes. Possible. But you will also get completely the opposite. The rules are crystal clear. What is not clear is the application.

How do you get the scholarship? Assuming it's coming to you through your university - well, they're going to notice if you haven't got a student visa. But maybe your wages are more than the scholarship.

It isn't about the scholarship itself. Im happy to forget it as long as I can keep the student status and graduate. I can forget the monthly stipend thats ok and they can even kick me out from the dorms. Ideally they don't though.

I get my scholarship via university yes. How would they notice I don't have a student visa. They don't check my passport and do you think they would have some centralized system that sends them some sort of warning? I honestly doubt so but maybe it is in place.

So you just finished your first year? Are you sure you don't have any classes in year 2? If that's the case check with your school whether you can still submit your thesis on a work visa. I'm sure this must happen all the time as students start employment in their second year.

If you are registering for your second year they will want to see your passport then I guess. After that point I doubt they will ever see your passport.

Yes Im 100% positive. My course lasts for 2 years but I managed to take enough credits in first two semesters to satisfy the credit requirement for graduation.

Im thinking the same thing. They will see my passport during registration and it should no longer be neccessary afterwards. The only thing I am wondering is:

Will they be notified if I leave the country, get Z visa come to China and sort out my residence permit? I doubt considering huge population and general mess in government institutions but you never know. It would be a shame to lose the student status, scholarship and the diploma. I really wanna do things by the book to comply with regulations but it seems like noone can really help. I asked at school and they look like they never had such case before...I guess they did but they cannot be bothered to help out.

It turns out that I could study on Z visa - at least according to some people from school, will be talking to International Students Office to confirm that or even call Entry/Exit Bureau as well.

If this is possible then I also need to figure out what might happen to my scholarship. Ideally it stays but that's a big question.