Chinese-Forums

Over-stayed....questions about doing a visa run now

Vivyd

• New Members

Ok, so no two ways about this one....I'm an idiot and didn't keep a track of when my visa expired. A couple days ago I found out my visa (F) had expired by 2days. I've been to the local PSB and been fined 1000RMB for over-staying 2days. Today I went to the visa office to apply for an exit visit, which I can pick up on Wednesday next week. That will give me 15days to leave the country.

Now, I've been told to go on a visa run to Hong Kong and just get a tourist visa and return and while I'm on the tourist visa the paperwork to sort out a new F visa can be sorted out. However, I was also told that it's possible that I would get refused a tourist visa in Hong Kong and told to go back to my home country and apply there...which would be a costly process I'd rather not do.

I might have a solution though, hopefully you guys can tell me if it'd work or not. My current visa (and all previous Chinese visas I've had...quite a lot now) are all in my NZ passport. I also have a British passport. If I used the British passport to apply for a tourist visa in Hong Kong would there be less chance of me getting refused? And if I used it, when I fill out the visa application should I be honest about the overstaying and previous visas in my NZ passport or just glaze over that and tick 'no' for those boxes? I only thought of this because I've seen elsewhere that people have been refused/blacklisted from China, but once they got a new passport/passport number it was fine.

I think you'd be fine in Hong Kong. However, if your UK passport goes across the desk of someone in Beijing who five days ago was fining you for overstaying on your NZ passport...

When you say you've been told all these things - by who?

• New Members

A guy at work has a friend who over-stayed his visa a couple days and went on a visa run to Hong Kong. He was refused in Hong Kong and told to go back to his home country (Denmark) and apply again. The application was accepted in his home country. This was this year, or last year....recent(ish) anyway.

I am curious about this because I am applying for an Irish passort to have dual citizenship. I have been told by some that their second passport has a notation that says that they have citizenship in another country. Does your second passport have anything to this effect?

I would also go to another Asian country to fly into Hong Kong to get the stamp into the British passport, not crossing the border with NZ passport, because if you checkbox "no" in "Have you ever been..." they would ask you how you get to HK without crossing the border and getting a stamp. My friend got fined => he mailed his passport to home country and got the visa => no crossing the border stamps => bye-bye 5000 yuan

• 5 weeks later...

No one really care to blacklist or check you up unless you are a big-shot or a wanted man, this is China. TIA, if you are under the radar you'll probably get away with it, but if you are a wealthy businessman working in China, bad luck for you. The authorities shall play by the rules or even if they don't have one.