Chinese-Forums

Studying in China 2013- too late for a scholarship?

nath

Hey all,

I've recently made the decision to learning Chinese for learning months from September 2013. I'm currently a teacher in Guangxi, and have managed to study a fair bit over the last seven months. Still however, I'm still very limited in my vocabulary, and as someone who wants to use Mandarin within journalism, I need to get up to speed.

I know I'm too late for the big CSC scheme, but my question is this. Is there any way I can get a scholarship for one semester? My friend directed me to a website- CUCAS- and it seems Hubei Normal University is still offering a scholarship?

Otherwise, what is the best option for me to cram as much into 5 months as possible? I'm not worried about where I go...as long as there is a heater somewhere in the property! I am not completely skint, but am also not loaded...

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan,

Applications for both CIS and CSC are closed. So your best chance is to find out if there are universities or language institutions willing to exchange this for that: you spend a few hours a week teaching English and in exchange, you get to attend Chinese classes.

As far as I know, there aren't many universities willing to offer scholarships to prospective students. They only offer semester scholarships to current students who excel.

When I was in Shanghai, there were a good number of Chinese who offered full boarding on studio apartments in exchange for a few hours of English lessons on the weekends. You might want to try these if you're seeking a bit of an 'adventure'.

• 2 months later...