Chinese-Forums

Program to make flash cards out of a story or article

Pengyou

Sorry, should be "flashcards" and not "class cards". I am hoping to find a program that will accept a doc or txt file, etc, make a list of all of the unique words in that file and then put each unique word into a flashcard program to help me study. Really cool would be a program that does all of this but also does not enter words that are already in the flashcard vocabulary list ...most cool and extraordinary would be a program that can make 3 kinds of flashcards, one with hanzi/pinyin and one with hanzi/English meaning and the last, hanzi with the meaning in simple Chinese words.

make my dreams true...

bedkyp.jpg

You might try CQuickTrans, the former shareware now freeware, Chinese learning program.

http://www.coolest.com

You highlight the portion of text you want to parse and click the binoculars icon to get the words. Make sure to select whole words rather than words that begin with, words that end with, or words that contain any portion of.

Then you select and drag the entries from the "dictionary" portion down to the "study list" (their flashcard) portion.

if the entry has already been saved previously, it won't be duplicated.

The freeware program is kind of old so the CEDICT they use is an older iteration, but, in some cases that's better. Not so bloated now that CEDICT is trying to include every word under the sun. :)

The dictionary is easy to edit as well since it's just a simple text file.

For instance if you wanted to add 哆啦A夢 (Doraemon) to their dictionary, you'd add the following entry:

哆啦A夢 [duo1 la1 ei meng4] /Doraemon, robotic cat who features in a series of popular manga and anime from Japan(b5)(gb)/

What tone is "A"? :)

I don't really use the flashcard program, but, CQuickTrans is one Chinese program I use often. Mostly to remove the tags from text. :)

The flashcard portion of the program is really basic though. One tab for character, one tab for reading and one tab for meanings. Doesn't remember stuff that you already gone over. Or anything.

You can save flashcard lists and they are in text, but, they will have some delimiter tags which makes it difficult to separate.

Kobo.

I had originally hoped to be done about 2 months ago :mrgreen: but a couple of things came up so I haven't been able to work on it as much as I'd like. Plus I'm actually working on two separate tools - one focused on reading and one focused on analysing content. The bulk of the work for the analyser is done it's just a matter of finishing little things (installer, website, documentation etc) and making the GUI presentable.