Chinese-Forums

Chinese Metal??

rockytriton

I was searching some time ago.

The only band I could find which I kind of liked is Seraphim from Taiwan.

Seraphim Homepage:

http://www.magnum.com.tw/seraphim/page4.html

The obvious comparison is something like more progressive Nightwish or Edenbridge. They publish their CDs in Mandarin and "weird" English, but I couldn't find a way to get the chinese Version. If anyone knows a way?

Hm, Seraphim's music is classified as Progressive Power Metal, at least on their site. At first look, their site seemed to be quite professional, and it's even available in different languages...But it seems as if the admin used bablefish to translate the text...

You can find samples of the songs if you go to discographie and click on the individual songs. The translation looks like Babelfish, their english lyrics are babelfish in "complicated mystic" - mode. But I like the music recorded in good Finvox Studios soundquality.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

SERAPHIM is really good, but this other ChthoniC are shit. No one needs another copy of Cradle of Filth. Do you like a band who is selling them selves for politics?

Why are you all talking about Taiwan bands? The scene on the Mainland is much bigger!

We have Underground Labels like Mort Productions or AreaDeath Prod. etc. who already published many cool chinese metal bands. Then Painkiller Mag is the main print media of this genre beside Extreme Magazine. If you need informations about live gigs, band bios, scenreports go to: www.rockinchina.com !

First Metalbands in china: TANG DYNASTY, OVERLOAD, AGAIN, THE FACE, IRON KITE, HADES, TOMAHAWK, THE CROWN etc.

later underground bands: RITUAL DAY, REGICIDE, LAST SUCCESSOR, SUFFOCATED, SPRING AUTUM, HYONBLUD, VOMIT, HERESY, CANKERED CORPSE, DEADLY SIN etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, not sure I'd count Tang Dynasty as being metal. But they are good, especially live. Anyway my own favourite (though they're more industrial than metal) are AK-47. And if you really want to see Chinese metal if at all possible try to get to Beijing for National Day (Nov. 1) when the Midi Festival will be on. Last year there were 36 top bands of which at least a third were metal.

Painkiller, I see that you've grouped punk and post-punk together in your download section. http://www.rockinchina.com/Download.html

It might make sense to separate the two because they are very different and appeal to different audience? I think A-OK and Reflector could be in the post-punk category.

Post-punk is less harsh, you can hear the lyrics, and appeals to a broader audience. Social Distortion would be post-punk. What's known as punk nowadays is closer to "death metal.".

See http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/post_punk_primer/114915

Painkiller' date=' I see that you've grouped punk and post-punk together in your download section. [url']http://www.rockinchina.com/Download.html[/url]

Well thanks for your opinion about us. I know the difference between Punk and Post Punk, but the audience is not that differen like Punk and Death Metal! I think is not importent how to catagolize the style, styles are just an orientation, we have to groupe up things anyway...

If you are intrested in that, maybe you can help us coreting mistakes of band genres in the band info archive. It could be possible that we labled some bands with wrong styles.

Ok, I can help if you are serious. Such category names probably vary somewhat from country to country.

I think is not importent how to catagolize the style, styles are just an orientation, we have to groupe up things anyway...
It helps to have the right labels. If someone is looking for a band that sounds like AC/DC, you don't want to give them Green Day.

of course I am serious. But I need to know something first.

Do you speak or understand spoken and written Chinese?

In which City do you live now?

Do you know any chinese bands quite well?

Maybe you can do more if you want.

First, if you are intrested, please look throu all our text contents for mistakes and report these in our forum forum.rockinchina.com in the editorial section.

If you can contribute more contents, be it live photos, live reports, scene reports, club reports, band info, CD/Demo reviews etc., just post them in the forum or send me an email to yang@rockinchina.com .

thanks man!

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any Chinese bands that are more like Pavement or Belle and Sebastian? Or "new wave" like The Cure or New Order?

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few of Brit/Altpop-inspired acts.

cn: Catcher in the Rye, New Pants

tw: Yang Naiwen, Soda Green, Tarcy Su.

• 2 weeks later...