Chinese-Forums

Are there any web developers out there?

lunaprey

Hi everyone!

I'm Luna. I have a small web development company in Hainan, and I was wondering if anyone else out there does web development or design here in China? It would be nice to be able to connect to others who likely share similar difficulties doing web engineering here in china

Thanks!

Luna :D

• New Members

replying to Luna's post. Frankly speaking right now I am not web developers.

Stay at Guilin studying chinese, and has a plan to do some paid-work (IT related of course)

I am interesting how Luna got this job. Did you get this job before came to china, or after came to china?

How to get one? How is work environment? any language/ culture difficulties?

I see many opportunities for IT related work in online site such as: 51job.

But never apply it directly, so before I do it I want to hear Luna's experiences.

thanks

On my trip yesterday to the 工商局 I was told foreigners aren't allowed to open a business for making websites. ><

I'm pretty good with PHP (maybe a little modest), but I'm horrible with design and graphics.

Hi guys!!

Well, about working with Chinese.. basicly, they are used to getting what they want becasue they are the boss, so right up front you have to basicly tell them, look I'm not just your designer/developer. I'm going to manage this website, and I decide the layout, how it all looks, everything. Of course they will agree with me, but if you let them have too much control, you will find they have no idea what the customer needs.

Also, Chinese aren't very good about paying. I don't know personally becasue I have my relations person make sure to explicitly tell them they will pay each week, and then a monthly fee for hosting. The moment they miss a payment, we cease work!

Not a lot of clients will put up with this, but the ones that appreciate your skills (compared to the competition), they will do everything they can to keep you.

About officially having a company. You have to invest 100k RMB into your company in order to start one up by yourself. I'd suggest you do it under IT consulting. To be honest, my company doesn't actually have an official one, but we are working on it, and I seem to have made a nice network that is willing to help me out and get us on our feet. First need that 100k :roll:

Hey,

Yes, I'm in a similar position to you but am registered as an IT Consultancy Company.

My experiences here sound similar to yours and I learnt very early on to focus on International clients rather than Chinese clients. I found that Chinese clients usually wanted something cheap and quick, were super slow at paying (It took close to a year to get paid by one client) and controlling.

I had a client who wanted to come in and sit in our office to "work" with us everyday while building a site for his company. No matter how much we insisted he wasn't needed he would still turn up un-announced and be like "What are we doing today?"

I could probably write a book on our experience with staff too.

It's not all bad though, if you want to talk about it more you can private message me and I'll give you my skype details or something.

• Like 1

So on my latest visit to the 工商局, apparently foreigners can't make websites, but we can do internet design.

No: 网站

Yes: 网络设计

Just to make it clear, since the information I get half the time is as clear as mud.

It seems only websites such as Taobao and Baidu are really a 网站 here.