Chinese-Forums

2nd/3rd Tier Cities for Business... Fuzhou?

scoopneals

Hello,

I'm currently living in Shaanxi, but looking to move to South China (I think?) in about 2 months. I had my mind set on Shenzhen, but recently I've started to have ideas about 2nd/3rd tier cities. I am interested in entrepreneurship.

Specifically what I'm looking for is a place that has a lot of disconnect with the west, but is looking to grow & expand. Places that are hungry for development, but are not on the level of the well known 1st tier cities. As well as a place where I can continue studying Mandarin...

I've learned Mandarin, to a low conversational level in my time here. Not reading fluently (long long way to go), but having some good conversations more recently. I'm afraid to go to a place like Fuzhou, however, because I have no clue what to expect the language to be like. Am I going to have to learn a new language all over again? I've seen maps, for example, that label Fuzhou with the Min dialect. Is Mandarin going to be used in daily language, or am I going back in time to my first days in China?

Also interested to hear what people think about this idea of disconnect. Does anybody live in one of these southeastern cities where its like... skyscrapers on one block and then farms/ruins on the next block? Places that are just exploding with growth? I'm all ears... your posts have the potential to dramatically change my life.

Possibly 2 questions for 2 different sections of the forum... but thanks for any insights

The dialect spoken in Fuzhou (Fuzhouhua) is essentially a different language from Mandarin, but most people you are likely to be dealing with (that is, anyone under retirement age) will almost certainly be competent enough in Mandarin to meet your needs (bad pronunciation notwithstanding). Educated people, especially those in their 20s or younger, ought to have very standard Mandarin, so you should have ample opportunity to continue learning.

As for development, I've only been to Fuzhou once, about ten years ago, and as far as I recall, it was built up, busy, dirty and dull. Lots can change in ten years, but I'd suggest you go and visit any place you're planning to move to before you make a commitment. Xiamen may be a better option in that respect. And as for "entrepreneurship", well, that's a very vague concept. But I can't see Fuzhou being significantly different from Shenzhen unless you have a particular niche in mind.

Kunming meets some of your criteria, though it's SW instead of SE. Currently experiencing explosive commercial growth, particularly in trade with SE Asia. Up huge percentages year on year and everyone is hungry for more. Certain sectors are doubling and spreading like cancers. Government encourages it and wants Kunming to become major regional hub. Makes for a very competitive business environment, and you would have to find a way to distinguish yourself in it in order to even survive, let alone to flourish.

As to the language, it's very much like @anonymoose explained for Fuzhou above. You can definitely learn Mandarin here.

As for the "disconnect," large sections of the city look like they have just undergone a massive WW2 bombing, buildings all razed and nothing but piles of rubble lining many main streets. Next to a zone like that are vast fields of new, half-occupied skyscrapers. And nearby, behind those two types of landscape, are narrow alleys unchanged since the Qing where vendors still total your grocery purchase using a well worn abacus.

Cool, thanks for the info guys!

Anonymoose- no niche in mind. I'm coming back on tourist visa... look for problems, then finding solutions. CIty shopping right now. I'm making a list of places to check out before I go home.

Abcdefg- that's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the info- are you living there now? I actually went through Kunming while I was backpacking in Yunan, but did really get to see what you're talking about. I was only there for a day, but I would be interested to return.

Yes, I'm in Kunming. Here's the sort of thing I was talking about:

http://www.gokunming...e_trillion_yuan

http://www.gokunming...cord_investment

There's not only a lot going on between Kunming and SE Asia, but between Kunming, India and Bangladesh. Plus trade with Taiwan has really taken off:

Representatives from Yunnan and Taiwan signed 22 agriculture, tourism and biotechnology agreements at the symposium worth US$2.65 billion — ten times the amount of total trade between the two entities in 2012.

I suppose, in all fairness, some of this may be propaganda and the figures might be inflated, but the signs of growth here are pretty evident and solid.

Yunnan has traditionally been thought of as having fine scenery, but being sleepy and backward. That seems to be changing; Yunnan is waking up. As its capital city, Kunming is at the forefront.

Apologies for sounding like the Chamber of Commerce. In truth, I think that Kunming is also losing some of its charm. Life is full of tradeoffs. As to problems which need solving, fast city growth has led to horrendous traffic. And the air quality is tanking.

Business is definitely booming along those southern borders. But what are you actually entrepeneuring? The folk bringing timber in from Burma don't need IT consultancies, and the e-commerce operations on the east coast don't need...er... timber consultants.

To be honest, I have no idea. I have enough to survive w/out a job for a few months. I'm planning on just going and then figuring it out from there. Its been done- I've been following these two guys for awhile who moved to China and started their own Wine distribution company... they always talk about how many opportunities they run into all the time, and how few Westerners are actually going after these opportunities. They live in Guangzhou- check out their about page if you're interested:

http://www.theelevatorlife.com/

I had been actually planning to go to Shenzhen for awhile, but honestly, I'm not to excited about moving to a developing developed city. I love the feeling of development... that's why I mention skyscrapers on one block and ruins on the next. I don't know how to explain why 8)

I've read that blog. Those guys are probably the exceptions, not the norm. And don't forget, they are selling the notion of success being available to nearly anyone who wants it badly enough. Not saying they are hucksters, but they do have a stake in your subscribing to their philosophy. They aren't just disinterested reporters of something they happen to have discovered.

They also taught English on the side for a while, and that's not difficult in Kunming. It will take time to build up a network of contacts. Can happen fast, can happen slowly. There will be setbacks.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but it would be better if you had at least a rough plan before starting this new phase of your life. Nonetheless, definitely come take a look around. Maybe inspiration will strike like lightning once you are here with your boots on the ground.

Not saying they are hucksters, but they do have a stake in your subscribing to their philosophy.

I had never heard the word "huckster" before... haha. But its an interesting thought. I agree with you, the philosophy that if you work hard enough everything that you dream of will come true... simply is not always true. We only hear success stories. Wise comment.

Its a strange transition, because I have no connections... no 关系... and no specific industry I want to be in. I'm only 23, so I figure if I want to try and do something like this, now is the best time to do it... you know? Regardless, yes, planning would be wise. Its hard to plan when you don't know what you want to do. haha. I suppose that's what this all comes down to, is deciding what I actually want to do :shock:

I too wish you great success, but will note that the failure rate for people doing what you are talking about it probably in the high 90%s. Look at success rates for new businesses in your home city. Then for businesses started by 23 year olds. Then imagine what they might be for someone doing that in a different country.

Don't invest your savings, and have a very solid Plan B.

• 2 weeks later...

You may consider moving to Zhaoqing, it is one of the most livable cities in Guangdong. Also, a tourism city at a national level. At a time when everyone in China is rushing headlong into modernization, when places like Beijing are crushing their lovely old houses to make way for the 2008 Olympics, when Shanghai and Shenzhen are more interested in making money than making art, here was Zhaoqing quietly fusing new with old, embracing new technology yet still remembering how to make inkstones.

A livable 3rd tier city moves forward yet stands still.

• Like 1