Chinese-Forums

Working in China - Visa Questions... help!

梅克立

Hello all,

I just got a job in Beijing China for this summer. I will be working for three months at the Chrome Horse Harley Davidson shop in Chaoyang, Beijing. I however do not have a clue on what visa to apply for and what documents they will need to provide me to do so. Previously I attended Nankai Daxue and my laoshis took care of all the necessary forms. Do I need a work visa or with my short duration can I apply for a different one?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes agreed. Ask the shop about the visa stuffs. However I doubt if they will take care of it since it would only be a three months' time. Hopefully they will, though. If you can apply for a travel visa for three months I think it also would be o.k... Just my own opinion... Oh are you still in China? What visa do you have now?

I am actually back in the US right now. I contacted numerous agencies that issue visas here and they mostly agreed to just get a tourist visa if I am only going for three months. The shop wanted me to originially work for 1 - 2 years (and I plan to after I graduate college) so I would assume they have the ability to employ foreigners.

Sunpixy, I notice you are in Tianjin, I studied at Nankai last summer and my girlfriend will be going there this summer. If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing over there... or maybe you are a Tianjin ren?

Cutty is right... A tourist visa is not the same with a working visa legally, or it wouldn't be called a tourist visa. But the truth I see here is not a few people work here with a tourist visa since the time is short and some companines don't apply for visas for them. I didn't mean I recommend this illegal way, though...

梅克立, I work and live in Tianjin. Hmm don't know if I should be considered a Tianjin ren though because I came here from Yinchuan(a small city in northwest China) and I've been refusing to speak with Tianjin accent for ages, hehe. Your girlfriend is coming here to learn Chinese also? I think Nankai University is a great choice to learn Chinese in Tianjin.

I know it's not really legal to use a tourist visa... but when the Chinese government doesn't sponsor work visas unless you have a duration of one year it makes the choice tough as to which visa to aquire. You aren't supposed to study either with a tourist visa but I'm fairly certain we took 12 credits worth of Chinese classes on our tourist visas last summer.

Sunpixy - your English is excellent, I could easily mistake you for a native English speaker. I agree, the Nankai campus was very pleasent and hospitable for my stay there. I just hope they have the fountain working this time :)

Another question that maybe you can answer... do you know the travel distance from Chaoyang in Beijing to Tianjin? I know it's about an hour from Tianjin to the train station in Beijing but I am not sure what the distance from Chaoyang is to the Beijing train station.

Yeah that's it. Seems like people have no other choice when they want to stay and work in China for a short time with a legally appropriate visa. :-?

Mei Keli, you need to talk to me more to find I am not a native English speaker, hehe. I bet it would only take less than 30 seconds for you to figure it out :lol: But, thank you for your compliment. It inspired me to pay more attetion to my English study.

The distance between Beijing and Tianjin is about 120 kilometers. The railway station is just in Chaoyang District. So the distance you were considering is very short. Now it takes only 74 minutes by train from Beijing to Tianjin.