Chinese-Forums

MA + 2-3 more years Mandarin in Beijing

Ejacoby79

Hi guys and girls,

I have just passed the BCT level 4. It was in Shanghai (an English-first city im sorry -- do not do your Mandarin study here, I'll open this can of worms later ), an intensive study period and wanted to get to about INT level in 9 months which I think i did. I realize its not fluency (what is?) and am very interested in continuing to study while getting a Masters. I have found many seemingly good programs in Beijing that offer a Masters in Environmental Engineering and will focus the first semester on Mandarin where I feel it will be a better fit for learning than the 'high.

The costs, and low barriers to entry are obviously the upside but will being a 30+ career changing foreigner doing study at a Chinese Uni be a detriment? I guess it all depends but anyone with knowledge or experience can let me know?

Thanks,

Ethan

I actually dont know if Shanghai is any better or worse than Chengdu, Ive studied in both places and found them both to be equally bad study environments.

Pardon the negativity but I think the majority of the population in coastal cities and larger inland cities in general are taking on a very natural (for China) flighty stance regarding the relationship they have with their country's politics, understanding of the world, success and addressing their own heritage. I feel that the China middle class is in this awful stage of trying to reverse the way the world sees it through consumption of imports, waste of investment capital through frivilous international travel, and international schooling and schooling children in English as a means to a better life. All the while, the sheer lack of true national identity makes them less open to expression towards non-native speakers. In a way, those in the more developed cities like to play the "my English is better than your Chinese" card becuase despite their desire to become more international there is the underlying despair and frustration of being a Chinese that makes sharing or helping one to immerse in their culture too difficult. Anyway, as you can imagine, Shanghai is a monster with a local population that is more traditional, the sea turtle population that is too cool for foreigners and the expats who compared to most cities dont speak any Chinese due to Shanghai's relatively long history as a trading port.

FYI dont hijack the post and go off topic!