Chinese-Forums

PSB delay

tmax

I applied for an F visa extension 5 weeks ago. It usually takes 2-3 weeks. I now need my passport to go to another country indefinitely (and urgently). The PSB refuses to give a date of returning it, or a reason for a delay. I showed a flight ticket but they weren't interested. I cancelled my flight out of China this weekend.

Other than waiting and ringing the PSB, what can I do?

2 - 3 weeks is standard.

Unfortunately, you're fully at their mercy.

The only alternative would be to bribe someone by taking them out to lunch to get information, or just straight up giving someone cash.

Have you tried contacting your embassy? They may not be able to do anything but might at least be able to give you some advice. It's possible that they could even issue an emergency travel document. It's probably at least worth a try.

• Like 1

I would say pleading and begging. We managed to once have a visa expedited by showing the outward flight ticket, being very nice, sweet, friendly, and simply refusing to going away. At some point it becomes easier for them to do something about it than just continue trying to ignore you.

Doing all that without making anyone angry is the difficult part, as once that happens, you wont get anything.

Kdavid, tell us about your successful bribery experiences.

OP:

1) Turn up at the PSB with your plane ticket and stay there until you have your passport.

2) Phone your consulate. Citizens separated from their passports are something they (should) actually take seriously, and they may well make a phone call or two.

3) I'm pretty sure emergency travel documents would only be issued for travel back to your home country.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't get it back on first attempt. Where are you from, and is there any more to the story? Previous visa problems or anything?

Diplomatic pleading seems like a good idea. I was able to renew it before with no problem. I contacted my embassy and they said to wait. If I have to wait to much longer maybe I could ask them to ring for me. Thanks for the advice!

• 3 weeks later...

Ah didnt update, sorry. Met a serious-looking PSB guy on July 9th who knew I was leaving urgently and he gave me a 10-day visa to do so (got the passport back after 28 working days in the end); in S. Korea now. I was just about to ask him if I could cancel my f visa extension and apply for just an exit visa .. if such a thing is possible, before he offered the visa. Totally not comfortable being without my passport so long even if I was not leaving the country. I have a feeling F visa renewals might be more difficult in future. Perhaps I got out just in time!