Chinese-Forums

Total Beginner: Learning mandarin (long term) - BNU or BLCU ?

Beijing BoB

• New Members

Hello everyone ...

First of all, thanks for having this website. I think it's quite useful.

Secondly, sorry for this huge post! I just take it quite seriously and the time is running and I want to explain myself "properly".

The last couple of weeks, I was reading a lot of topics here about where to study mandarin but however, I still feel confused.

I also used the search function and read through most threads which state a similar question (BNU, BLCU....) but well .. look above.. still confused :-?:help:wall

Honestly, I posted the same "topic" at TBJ but after many days of waiting, I still didn't get any useful answer over there.

Therefore, and as this forum seems to be a little more "focussed" and professional, I really do hope that you girls and guys can help me to stop my confusion.

I herewith c&p my post from TBJ.. I edited/updated it a little:

I would like to ask for your suggestions/help/ideas/recommendations.

I'm in China since January 2012 and used to live and work in Shanghai.

At the end of May, I moved to Beijing.

I want to start studying mandarin in September as I'm really sick of not being able to communicate with most people out there!!

I seriously want to change that!

I want to study Chinese for 1-3+ years and only concentrate on studying for a while.

Please do help me to make a choice.

1. Should I go to BNU (Beijing Normal University) or BLCU (Beijing Langauge and Culture University)?

(It's quite late now and I think the deadline has already passed for most universities. Therefore, I only consider these two right now)

Can anyone give me a recommendation? What's the big difference between BNU & BLCU?

Anyone has been to both and can compare? What are the people like (age/countries etc.)?

Some people say BLCU sucks and they just want your money .. other people think it's fine .. so confusing.

I couldn't find a lot of feedback on BNU yet though. (here on Chinese forums I have the feeling that BNU has a good recommendation for learning chinese though... and BLCU??)

2. At BNU, I applied for 1 academic year. I went there and hand over all documents personally. I now wait for their reply.

In BLCU, I would consider the 1 year program (20h/week) OR the "2 year college certificate program" ..

Can anyone give me information about the difference between the 1 year program and the 2 year college certificate program at BLCU?

When you start as a total beginner, will it be the same for the 1st year?

What kind of chinese level (HSK?) should you normally reach there after 1 (or 2) year(s) ?

According to a telephone call with BLCU, they recommended me to apply for the college certificate program simply cause I haven't studied and a bachelor yet. I was working more or less directly after school the last couple of years.

Why should this college certificate be useful? What is it actually about? It's not a bachelor either... so ?!

Unfortuntely, they failed to give me detailed information by phone.

I hope you could give me some suggestions.

Right now, I only applied at BNU and I am currently waiting for their response/admission package.

The documents for BLCU are prepared but I did not go there yet to apply as I am just so confused about it. (don't want to waste 600-800 RMB, too - if in the end I would go to BNU anyway.)

BNU is closer to my apartment, too.

Wudaokou seems to be so far away from my apartment and downtown in general. (another pro for BNU)

However, if many people who went to both actually think BLCU is better for total beginners and I should apply and go there for either 1 academic year or directly sign in for the 2 year college certificate program, I might do that instead and distance would of course not matter soooo much. (I plan to get a real scooter anyway. The electronic one I took with me from Shanghai really starts to annoy me A LOT)

However, I need to make a decision ASAP if I should also apply at BNU or not and in general , yes .. where to go? .

I would be very happy if you could give me some recommendations/answers based on your experience.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards

Hello Bob, I cannot comment on the universities, but for your question re. HSK level - I think when you're devoted you can reach new HSK 2 within half a year, maybe even level 3, and you'll see success like being able to buy things, ask for directions and times, really really soon! Good Luck!

• New Members

Thanks for your answer and your good luck wishes. Let's hope the university(ies) will accept me first ;-)

You said "new HSK 2" ....Did they just change their HSK policies or what's the reason you wrote "new"?

Kind of - in 2010. So to make sure you are buying the right text book or talking about the same thing, everyone says "new HSK" or "新 HSK" (新 xīn, new)

This site has got a comprehensive description (and the official practice materials for download):

http://www.chinaeduc...om/en/exams.php

And this is the official website where one can register, see their score online, etc:

http://www.chinaeduc...om/en/exams.php

Closing this - can you please find the two universities through our index and post any specific questions there. The chances of anyone having been to both and able to make a direct comparison are very low, and if they have they can post in either of those topics.