Chinese-Forums

What Visa? Under 24, Re-Locating Beijing with Partner

JoshuaG

Hello,

Middle August will see me re-locating to Beijing and I am completely stuck in regards to Visa.

My partner has just accept a role over there and will be given a Z Working Visa.

I'll be moving with him, but don't know what Visa (if any) I can apply for to stay there.

Here's a bit about me:

I'll be 23 when I move

Have several years work experience

No bachelors degree

UK citizen

Not married to partner (same sex relationship)

What are my options? We are planning on staying for a good couple of years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua

Get a job or enroll at a university. If you're not married your partner's visa status is going to be irrelevant. Or get married - the double-takes at the visa office will be worth it.

Basically China has no provision for people who just want to be in China. You need some kind of status - student, employee, business owner.

I came out here with my partner originally (I'm not working and on a work visa) and I enrolled to study Chinese at first. It not only gets you a visa, but it's also gives you something to focus on (that's also very useful). If you register at a state University such as Peking, Tsinghua, BLCU to study Mandarin you can get a one year student visa. Or you can register at one of the private language schools but I belive they can only help with short tem visas - maybe max 6 months.

Please note that it's getting harder and harder for foreigners to stay here while renewing short term tourist or business visas. I would think a one year student (X) visa would be your best option, plus it provides you with a way to meet other people too.

I actually don't know if same sex marriages would be recognised here for the purposes of a family visa? Does anyone know? I doubt they are recognised in China, so I don't think getting married is an option for a visa for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Joshua, I just wanted to let you know this question about same-sex partner visas in China has been raised in at least one other forum, here: http://www.shanghaie...2.html#p1845172. Here's what I saw of interest: "I was at a presentation by the head of the residence permit section of the Exit-Entry Division of the Public Security Bureau in Beijing in April 2013. He stated that in the case of a same-sex marriage he would issue a residence permit as a dependent to the trailing spouse. He also said that even if the couple is not married, if the relationship could be proven he would issue the residence permit. I haven't seen a written policy on this, although others in attendance at the presentation also took notes on it. See for example here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...