Chinese-Forums

How should I deal with a noisy neighbor in Shanghai

rezaf

@Roddy:

So many things have happened since then. Long story short: I spoke to the husband in a friendly manner. They kept quiet for a few days and then they started the noise again. Then we changed our minds and sold the apartment to a newlywed couple to take up the torch and deal with the neighbor. Finally we got our money out of China with lots of bank drama for the transfer and we are going to buy a new condo now.

I spoke to the husband in a friendly manner. They kept quiet for a few days and then they started the noise again.

To quote myself' date='

Try talking some sense into them, they will stop for five minutes and then they relapse.

Minutes, hours, days... you take your pick. They always re-offend.

• Like 1

Rezaf, sometimes moving out is the only thing left to do. Unfortunately it is not always practical, due to the cost and effort involved. My neighbors in the unit next door like to play loud music that rattles the walls, but fortunately it comes to an end in the evening - the wife has to get up early for a long commute. I've done my share of moving out to get away from noisy neighbors. But in those days, the ex would wake up if a fly walked on the carpet of the upstairs unit. If she was trying to sleep in Beijing, a dropping pin in Tianjin would wake her up... I like Brian's idea of giving everyone violins, but unfortunately, that would only escalate the situation. We all know that violins never solves anything, it only begets more violins.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that! But it's like a law of nature. If talking would have worked out, then you would have been the first person on this earth ever to be able to resolve matters with anti-social neighbours in a friendly manner. The day that is possible, pigs will fly.

• Like 1