Chinese-Forums

Change from Z visa to marriage visa?

meepmeep

• New Members

Can anyone help i currently am on a z visa converted to the residency permit. I got married while in China. I now want to quit my job half way through my contract and change to a marriage visa, or at least just be able to stay in China for 6 months. I don't want my employer to get angry and kick me out of the country so i'm thinking of just ditching and then trying to change my visa. Is this possible?

• New Members

from what i've read up so far there isn't a marriage visa but a multiple entry visiting family L visa which sounds good if i can get one for 6 months / 1 year. But can i get this from within China?

• Like 1

I am very sure this is the case. By being married to a chinese citizen you should be able to get up to a year's L visa, and be able to renew, from within China. Many years ago, due to ignorance (and not having knowledge of this excellent website), I overstayed my visa, but since I was married I was fine obtaining an L visa.

Last summer, I stopped working for six months and obtained an L visa. Then did the HK visa run to recommence working in December. No problems getting Z visa. However, I did finish the year contract. I'd advise giving your current employer plenty of notice, maybe help them to find a replacement, maybe telling them you have to go off to another city (family thing)...

I do not think you will have a problem. But keep fishing around for more info. Good luck.

• New Members

Yes you can change your Z visa to a marriage visa within China. I did it twice already.

You need the following documents (at least in my case in Beijing):

- Termination letter from your employer (must state on what date your working contract is terminated).

- Confirmation from the labor bureau that your work permit is cancelled.

- Copies of marriage certificate and your spouse's Hukou.

They will give you a residence permit for family visiting purposes valid for one year. You can renew it every year in China. In case you want to start working again, you will need to do the entire process for the Z visa again, which requires to leave the country.

• 3 weeks later...