Chinese-Forums

android device as chinese character drawing pad

xyz123abc

OK, you have your main anki in your desktop. You have a huge screen attached to your desktop, headphones, comfortable mouse.... but you can't draw characters outright :/

You can draw and digitalize your characters through your android device, as detailed in this thread in another forum:

http://forum.xda-dev...59#post43690459

basically, use an android chinese stroke based input method, like sogou, and a program that uses your android device as a PC input method. You draw the character in your android, and it appears as a digital character in your PC, like if you had a key for it.

Now this is definitely slower than pinyin typing. But when you know about 50 characters, it is aweasome for practicing.

Yes, I am trying to be back on my tracks :) chinese learning, round 2.

Just searched for similar tools on iPod.

• RemotePad, has touchpad and keyboard, all keys are transmitted but no Chinese text.
  • Logitech Touch Mouse, same, no Chinese text gets transmitted, neither typed through pinyin entry nor handwriting.
  • Benzle Wireless Remote Mouse, website has Chinese text, hopefully this works... strange, FAQ mentions 6 keyboards, but no Chinese... but YES, it works amazingly well, every stroke gets transmitted, so you can not only see the finally chosen character, but even the earlier guesses WHILE you are writing it! There is also built-in app switcher and in-app shortcuts! Highly recommended!

I am not sure why you wouldn't use a tablet input device (the old fashion type of tablet as made by wacom and other manufacturers).

Using a android tablet seems a bit clumsy to me. I use a tablet and pen input device on my PC with great results and satisfactory feel. It is like writing on paper with a pen. If your android device supports a stylus then maybe it can feel like writing with a pen and paper. If you are using your finger to draw on the screen that seems a bit odd to me.

My android tablet supports a stylus so i practice with that but not to my PC i don't see the need.

Interesting work around though, ten points for ingenuity and lateral thinking :)

• Like 1