Chinese-Forums

Residence permit renewal

hovhannissian

Hey guys, I really need your help. I'm currently in Beijing and my visa expiration date is 31th August. I would like to know, what's the deadline for renewing my residence permit? I went to the office (in BLCU), they told me that now they can't arrange my visa, because Chinese government is changing rules and it's impossible to renew it now. They asked me to go in August, but the problem is that I'm going to travel out of China till 22th August, so I can bring my documents after 22. I'm a little worried about it, they say it's not a problem if I do it before 31th August. BUT, they are Chinese, and I'm supposed to not believe them.

It is possible to renew residence permits right now, of course. It takes about 15 working days.

BLCU is probably delaying because they are about to go on summer holiday and don't want to have it processing while their office is closed. I've heard this in past summers from other students.

I cannot speak for the original poster, but I doubt she was trying to be racist.

A couple thoughts:

1) For someone who comes from a country with well-defined regulations and effective management/administration in government, schools, etc., the chaotic way that things work in countries like China can be overwhelming. This is probably largely because China is still a developing country, and is a real problem, but has nothing to do with racism.

2) If English is not the native language of the original poster, her writing might give off a tone/impression slightly different from what she was intending.

Or, of course, maybe she's just racist. I doubt that, though.

It is historically very difficult to know when someone is attempting humor here. The OP's controversial remark may have been tongue in cheek and not really serious.

LOL, if I'm in China, so of course I love Chinese, BUT it's not racisme to say the fact, that they like to lie everywhere, isn't it???????? so it was just a sarcasm)))

in the office of BLCU they say: I don't know, MAYBE it's not a problem

whatever, thanks for help))))

• Like 1

LOL, if I'm in China, so of course I love Chinese, BUT it's not racisme to say the fact, that they like to lie everywhere, isn't it???????? so it was just a sarcasm)))

We will excuse you; it's just that you probably don't know China very well yet. There are certain situations in which most people lie, even though most of the time they tell the truth. Cannot generalize as broadly as you have done above. Best to suspend judgement until you have wider experience.

There are also the "white lies" Chinese sometimes tell to save face, or even to save the face of others. I've had several sweet and polite teachers tell me that my answer to a question or an exercise is "一点点不太对"。"Just a tiny little bit not too correct" instead of bluntly saying I was wrong.

Yeah, but we've also heard from people who've been refused a renewal until within a month of expiry - in that case I think the guy got it done by going in personally and begging.

I'm still not within one month of expiry and was accepted for processing several weeks ago - without begging. Just adding my experience.

Well, you ask a Chinese person if they'd like some tea, they say no. But they're Chinese, so you're supposed to not believe them. You've got to ask them at least one more time.

If you ask the people behind the bar if you can leave your bag there they say no ... but if you keep asking, they say yes! It's like magic.

A couple of years ago people in a university admin office told me I definitely had to wait to get a visa renewed, but I didn't believe them and when I went to the visa office on my own there was no problem.

It's not racism to point out that in certain circumstances (being polite to friends, being impolite to people who aren't friends) you have to push against little walls of minor deceit.

Different cultures of course: if you give a gift to someone in England they'll tell you how wonderful it is and how you shouldn't have, even if it's an average present and you definitely should have because it was expected. I don't remember people making so much fuss about regulation-quality gifts in China.

If it's interesting to someone who has the same problem: I went to BLCU office again, in one office 3 people say 5 different things :D So I just went to the main office near Lama temple, there they told me, that before 31th August I can go whenever I want, no problem even if I go 28th.

• Like 1

#15 -- Glad you got it worked out. Sounds like you learned something important about how to get things done in China.

Same with asking directions. Ask here, ask again after half a block, ask when you round the corner, ask again as you near where the place is supposed to be. It's difficult for Chinese people to just say "Sorry, I don't know." That involves some loss of face.

Best wishes for continuing success during your China stay.