Chinese-Forums

HK Tourist or F visa

valikor

Hi everyone,

I've been screwing around with visa issues for weeks now. The basic situation being that it wasn't going to be convenient to get a new one while I was in Beijing. I am traveling in July, to Germany and Turkey. I've tried to get visas in both places, but they continue to provide me with an unending amount of contradictory information regarding whether or not I can apply, and how I should apply. In the end, they have said I can apply, but only through an agency. The agency they suggested has refused, saying it's impossible because i am a foreigner in Turkey, and I am running out of time. If I can't apply within the next day or so, there is no way I will be able to make my flight this Sunday back to Beijing.

I think I am basically SOL in this situation, and think the only option is to go to Hong Kong and hope for better luck. Although this is a huge pain for me, I don't know what else to do. I'm just concerned, however, because I have never applied for a new visa in Hong Kong before, and given what I've seen (from sources including but not limited to this thread) recently about visa regulations, I have no idea if this would actually work, or what kind of visa I would be able to get.

TLDNR version: Can American citizens with maybe 9 expired Chinese visas (mostly F and X) apply for a normal tourist visa in Hong Kong? How complicated is the process, and how long of a visa might I be issued?

Thanks!!

David

One additional question: I realized it might be cheaper to not change my flight, but to book a separate Beijing-->Hong Kong ticket. That is, originally my final destination was Beijing, but after I book this new flight, my original flight will just be part of my joureny to Hong Kong.

If I am just in transit, do I need a visa? I have heard contradictory information on this. Here , here, and here , I have read that if I am transferring through Beijing for just 24 (or maybe even 72) hours, I don't need a visa.

But, in my past experience, airlines have always checked so carefully that I had a visa (once at check-in, once before getting on the plane) that I just want to make sure they will let me on the plane, especially since the Beijing-->Hong Kong flight will not be a part of the same itinerary, but will be a separate ticket, so according to the information in their system, my final destination will be Beijing.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

I helped a friend get a visa in Hong Kong last week and, although still possible, it is not as smooth and easy as it use to be.

Usually when i had a friend coming to visit I would meet them in HK and they would use an agency to get a tourist visa for 300-400 hkd and pick up the same day (I use an agency because those lines at the China visa office are too long).

Last week it cost 750 for next day pick up, 1750 for same day. max 30 days tourist visa. I went to two different offices to check.

Out of curiosity I asked both places about F visas and both said it takes a minimum 4 days and was around 7000 from memory.

Both offices weren't too confident about the F visa and had a lot of....how do I put it?..."unpleasant" things to say about the new laws. They also mentioned that it was easier if you had two previous visas issued outside of China.

Note: These prices were for Australian passports....American passports are more expensive and might have different rules.

• Like 1

#1 --

Can American citizens with maybe 9 expired Chinese visas (mostly F and X) apply for a normal tourist visa in Hong Kong? How complicated is the process, and how long of a visa might I be issued?

Recent reports on other forums indicate the answer is yes for L visas, but the terms of the visa may not be to your liking. Usually single entry, with duration of stay 30 or sometimes 60 days. No multiple entry visas and no 90 day stays. Seems to work best with an agent and to be less of a hassle that way regarding required supporting documents.

#2 --

If I am just in transit, do I need a visa? I have heard contradictory information on this. Here , here, and here , I have read that if I am transferring through Beijing for just 24 (or maybe even 72) hours, I don't need a visa.

Starting in January of this year, as a US passport holder, you can spend 72 hours in Beijing without a visa if you are just passing through from one foreign country to another. Hong Kong counts a such a destination.

This info is solid and has been confirmed many times by now. It's called TWOV (transit without visa) and no prior arrangement is needed. Just show your onward Hong Kong ticket and they will put a special stamp in your passport.

Disregard advice that was written before January, 2013.

• Like 2

I met a guy in Hong Kong a few days ago who went for a 60 day tourist visa but they would only give him two weeks. Second hand information but he claimed it was because he had too many different short term visas, L and F mostly. He went through an agency.

• 1 month later...