Chinese-Forums

Thoughts on my plan to travel / study in China?

Johnny20270

Hi all,

I’m not sure which is the best way to do this but perhaps you can help.

I want to go to China to study and experience life for up to a year & Ideally want a muti-entry visas

However I’m not particularly interested in a full time university language course because (a) I’m 40 and not overly keen to be a full time student again (b) I’m more interested in having a years career break and enjoy China greatly, not to achieve a qualification, HSK level etc and © my partner is a qualified mandarin language teacher & translator but not a lot of spare time (or desire) to teach me

Hence I would like to do a part time course or private language course via a private tutor. My partner is working full time so attend a part time course she can top up what the course lacks on.

Now the issue is the visa.

I could apply for a 6 double month entry visa. I rang the consulate in London and they said it is possible to get a 90 day stay as apposed to a 30 or 60 day stay. This would mean that I could potentially stay in China up to 6 months, (or 4 months if a 60days per entry) if visa granted. I could then check the universities, see which is the most appropriate for me and then apply for a 6 month or even 12month study visa while I’m in china

[or]

Just apply directly for 1 year multi entry study visa. The issues with this method is that (a) most start in September. I will be going in November (need to quit my job first) and (b) after 2 months I might decide there is too much study and leaves me no time to travel, spend time pottering about

Be great if anybody has any thoughts on this. Any comments greatly appreciated

Thanks

John

I do something similar to what you have in mind on a one-year multi-entry tourist visa with 90-day stays (US passport.) Some years I convert to a student visa through a private language school after arrival, and some years not.

Visa regulations may be different for UK citizens.

thanks for the reply

yes here it appears to be a single entry 3month or double entry 6month visa, 30 day max stay but agency did say they can get 60 days stay. There is no 12month visitors multi-entry visa. Onlt student visa did this

So for private language school, do you sign up to 1 year course and they sort visa out for you?

So for private language school, do you sign up to 1 year course and they sort visa out for you?

Yes. I arrive on a tourist visa, and let them handle the conversion. It costs something, but is never prohibitive (under 500 RMB.)

When doing it this way, the PSB just issues you a Residence Permit (instead of a student visa) which lets you exit and re-enter as seldom or as often as you want during the term of your stay.

Hi

i see, but do you actually attend a 1 year full time language course. i.e. have to pay in advance and show proof before you actually get the Residence Permit

You see I would like to try a short course first (2 months maybe) travel for a while etc. But the issue is I would really want a multi-entry visa .

I donlt mind paying paying for a 1 year course but if its required to attend every lesson (for validation of residence permit) , my free time would be limited

i see, but do you actually attend a 1 year full time language course. i.e. have to pay in advance and show proof before you actually get the Residence Permit

In my experience, when dealing with a private language school, not a university, the length of the course can vary. Of course, the length of the residence permit will vary as well, usually being a little bit longer than your actual study time.

Payment is another matter that can vary. I would never pay many months in advance; just wouldn't do it. Too many things can go wrong, and refunds are seldom given. Try to work out an agreement that that lets you pay as you go along.

You see I would like to try a short course first (2 months maybe) travel for a while etc. But the issue is I would really want a multi-entry visa .

If you go the residence permit route, forget about multiple entry visas. When you get a residence permit, any visa you might have is cancelled. A residence permit is all you need, and gives you the right to exit and re-enter as often as you wish during it's term of validity.

I donlt mind paying paying for a 1 year course but if its required to attend every lesson (for validation of residence permit) , my free time would be limited

Depends on the school.

If you go the residence permit route, forget about multiple entry visas. When you get a residence permit, any visa you might have is cancelled. A residence permit is all you need, and gives you the right to exit and re-enter as often as you wish during it's term of validity

ahh thats what i was concerned about, thanks for the all the info!