Chinese-Forums

Arriving in China

chinabro

Hi,

Sorry if this answer has been given before, but I hear there are changes to application processes recently, so things may be different to the older answers.

I'm travelling to China in a weeks time to learn Chinese at a university for a year.

I have my Student-X Visa, an Admission form and a JW202 form from my university.

I was just wondering what the process is, once you arrive in China.

Also I have heard you need to show evidence of a return ticket when you enter China. This doesn't seem to make sense since I will be staying for a year, but I wanted to make sure before I head off to the airport.

I'm aware you have to apply for a residency permit, and take a medical exam, but I'm not sure what order things must be done in etc.

I have heard to apply for the residency permit you must have proof from your uni that they are providing accommodation. The issue is, that I will be travelling around China for a couple of weeks before I go to the city where my uni is. So I assume I won't have the necessary documentation to apply for residency. This could be a problem if there is a time limit on the residency application. I think you have to apply 30 days after entering the country, but I'm not too sure about this either.

Any information would be appreciated.

If anyone could list a step by step guide to entering China that would be very helpful, and note any problems that you encountered, if you have experienced the process.

thanks again.

I don't think we've heard of any of those procedures changing, and getting to the uni with two weeks left on your X visa should be fine - you can phone and check if you like, and certainly make sure they are aware when you hand your passport over that the clock's already been ticking.

Basically the uni will walk you through everything - they'll probably bus you all to the medical place, take all your passports off you and send them to the PSB in bulk, etc. You just need to turn up at the right times and fill in any forms you're handed.

Which uni are you going to?

• Like 2

#1 --

Also I have heard you need to show evidence of a return ticket when you enter China.

This doesn't apply to you. You already have your visa. This is a requirement for applying for a tourist (L) visa. Don't worry about it.

Your school should apply for your residence permit within 30 days after you arrive in China, meaning you shouldn't arrive in China more than 30 days before the registration period. Everything else is fine.

Thanks for the replies so far. some helpful info.

I'm going to Zhejiang university in Hangzhou. I actually went to the doctor's today to fill out my Foreigner's Medical Form (whatever its called). So am wondering if this will save me having to do it while in China.

I'm not sure if my uni will be doing all the bussing around etc? Anyone know?

My friend goes to a uni in Wenzhou and it didn't sound like the uni did much for them other than give them info on what they needed to get done.

Either way is good for me. Good advice giving them a call.

I actually went to the doctor's today to fill out my Foreigner's Medical Form (whatever its called). So am wondering if this will save me having to do it while in China.
When I first went (2002) it did save me some or most of the medical checks in China, but I had to bring the original chest X-ray photo. For my most recent move there (2010) it was similar and I had to bring the X-ray again, on cd this time. Bring as much original materials as you reasonably can, that should help.

• 1 month later...

Everything went well.

I was in China for about 27 days before I applied for my temporary residency permit. As long as you apply for it WITHIN 30 days of arriving in China it seems to be no problem. I let my uni know when my entry visa was going to expire and they sent me to the right teachers within my uni to get my documents. You need Admission Notice, JW202, passport copy, passport, proof of residence (if you are staying in a uni dorm, I think they supply this to you after you have paid for your room). I think that's all the forms you need.

I ended up not needing to do a medical test at all. Other people in my course did need to do it, so I guess it depends what country you come from or how long you are staying, or what kind of course you are doing. Very hard to know.

Don't expect your uni to look after you. It's true some unis will drive you around in bulk but in mine (or at least my course) they focus their time doing other things especially when so many new students are registering. I think as long as you give yourself enough time then you can deal with any problems you encounter. eg. not having the right documents.

The passport takes 15 working days (M-F) to be returned. So 3 full weeks. And I think that's when you need to pay a fee for it to be returned.

I also didn't need a return air ticket as previous user commented.

Make sure you don't have any plans to travel during the time your passport is taken. You definitely can't travel out of the country and expect to return. But it may be possible to get on trains and domestic flights with some kind of passport copy? or temporary passport or seomthing?

anyway thanks for all the comments. hopefully this thread will help someone else