Chinese-Forums

chinese dramas on youtube with english subs?

civic94

I have been watching Dramas for the past 9 months on youtube to learn mandarin, and i have came a long way.

if anyone wants to watch and learn, so far, the ones on youtube that i have watched with english subs are:

Lavender

sealed with a kiss

autumn's concerto

love stragety

meteor shower

meteor garden

chinese paladin

queen of sop

xmsy

there are a few others but i cant think of it now. anyways does anyone know of some more? im running out of stuff to watch and learn. I dont like fighting movies alot, but if there is a drama that is taped in a chinese city, i would love to watch it, as i can see how it is over there, on top of learning. I find it much easier and natural to learn this way, as i feel like i am surrounded in a mandarin environment. I can understand a movie about 40% now without subtitles, if i can get another 20% i would be happy.

thanks

If you're at 40% comprehension, then even without English subs, you might want to give some of the easier episodes of the Grand First Episode Project a try.

do you know if theres a way to download the movies from youku? it works on youtube, but not youku (I use ILIVID). I watch when i have free time on my itouch, such as on a bus, train, so i'm not attached to my computer 24/7.

thanks for the list though, i will watch a couple of them on youku on my computer.

I love Demi Gods and Semi Devils, discovered it thanks to the forum imron mentioned. Downloaded it from Youtube, with softsubs.

Meanwhile I can follow without subtitles, and will embark on the next Jin Yong soon. But you said you don't like fighting.

I find the fighting boring too, but it comes with the genre. But I feel like watching Jin Yong you still learn a lot about the Chinese mindset (an extremely idealised, uber human, unrealistic and sometimes outrageous mind set of course).

I already find Western dramas so lame, I cannot get myself to watch a modern-day Chinese drama. The only Western dramas I loved were Breaking Bad (US) and Luther (BBC). If anyone can recommend something like that (in other words, dark and mental :mrgreen: ) in Chinese I'd be forever thankful!

Journey to the West/Xi You Ji might interest you, I think it's available in both old and new version with English subtitles on YouTube. It has some fighting, but not too much. The language is not too difficult, but a little old-fashioned.

The same goes for Three Kindoms/San Guo, though the language is much more difficult here (but it's an excellent show anyway).

You might also consider watching something you already watched (preferably something relatively easy) again, this time with Chinese subtitles - already knowing the plot will help you understand more of the language.

If you can't download from Youku, many Chinese shows with Chinese subtitles can also be found on Youtube.

I use drama fever over youtube - it's got lots of good shows if you can access it from where you are regionally.

I personally like the cheesy romcoms that come out of Taiwan. Very basic language is used in them (Fated to Love you and Drunken to Love You are the latest I've watched)