Chinese-Forums

Z Visa application and new passport

marshmallowpie

• New Members

Hi guys,

I'm currently interning with a business visa (6 months, 2 entries; used up both entries), which will expire in late October. Employer decided to give me a full-time job, and I'm now in the process of preparing the required documents. I'll be applying for a one-year Z visa, but my current passport (Malaysian passport) will expire in May 2014.

My question is, is it advisable to go ahead with the applications and transfer the work visa to my new passport (planning to renew my passport in February 2014)?

Malaysian passport renewal in China will take up to 3 months, and I have less than 3 months left on my business visa. The other alternative would be, to go back to my home country to renew my passport and return to China again with a tourist visa, while the HR lady prepares the other documents for my Z visa application.

Sorry if its too confusing! It's driving me a little crazy :(

Any advice/suggestion will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

First a small correction: a Z-visa is good for 30 days, in which time you/your employer should convert it to a residence permit (RP). The RP allows you to live and work in China, with unlimited entries/exits, usually for one year. What you will have in your passport come February is the RP.

Regarding your situation, you won't need to transfer your RP to your new passport; it's still valid even in an expired passport. You will just need to carry around your old passport with the RP in it, along with your new passport.

(In fact I'm in a similar situation right now; although my current RP is in my new passport, my last entry stamp is in my old passport so I carry both with me.)