Chinese-Forums

Translation of words on painting?

dav1dr0well

It is Chinese. The vetical line on the right is the title of the Minister for Foreign Affairs appointed by the monarch of Great Britian. The minister was a marquis and his name started with syllable "sha" or similar. The vertical line on the left is the title of the envoy to Britian appointed by the emperor of the Qing Dynasty. His name started with the word 羅. The last bit at the bottom of the left line is, I think, in Manchurian, one of the official languages of the Qing Dynasty.

PS the chinese envoy was probably 羅豐祿 -> New York Times

• Like 1

Yes, that probably refers to Salisbury. It is part of his name. (I am watching the BBC series the White Queen, and people in the drama are sometimes called by their title, like "Warwick", sometimes their real name, like "Richard Neville". Very confusing.)

(PS - But I think perhaps this is not special. In a Chinese drama about the early years of Emperor Yongzheng, for example, he might be called by his name 胤禎, or his rank among the different princes 四阿哥/四爺, or his title 雍親王, etc.)