Chinese-Forums

Which "Chinese Grammar" book to buy?

the_p0et

I've been living here in Taiwan for 7 months now and have picked up a few things here and there. Now I'm studying Chinese pretty much everyday with just online material, Pimsleur, book 1 of Far East Everyday Chinese and a couple of learn 100 characters books.

I heard that in order to make more progress is to buy a good 2 way dictionary with radical lookup and a Chinese grammar book.

Any suggestions for these 2 books?

I've heard of one method of learning a new language is to start with the grammar book then pick up a newspaper and highlight all words in the first paragraph that you do not understand (all of them!), then look them up in the dictionary, etc... I assume I need to first learn all 214 radicals so I can look up chinese characters I don't know and don't have the pinyin for?

Thanks!

I like: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415160375

I have 'Chinese An Essential Grammar' by the same author too, which is thicker and probably has better coverage, but 'Basic' seems better organized for learning and has exercises, which 'Essential' doesn't. I learn better from 'Basic', and enjoy reading it more too.