Chinese-Forums

Can this school get me a Z-visa?

Sydney Matt

I've been living and studying in China the past year-and-a-half (3 X-visas during this time). I've recently found a position teaching English at a private language school. I'm reasonably confident that I'd be able to get a Z-visa. Although I don't have two years of teaching experience, I do have a Bachelor's Degree, and four years of work experience in a large company in Australia prior to coming to China (I'm an Australian citizen). My current X visa expires on 30 August, so I'm a bit pressed for time.

Anyhow, at interview stage, and when I first started at the school (I've still only been working here a grand total of a few days), they said they could provide a work-visa for full-time employees. Later, they said they found out this wasn't possible, since they're a newly opened school, and that they can only provide work visas once they've been in business for at least one year. So, they asked me to renew/apply for a new student visa instead. This evening, I asked my manager about the visa situation again, and she said it's another colleague who's working on this, and that she will get back to me tomorrow.

What I'd like to know is, what exactly are the qualifications for inviting companies to provide employees with Z visas? Or is this all a mystery? Is it likely or unlikely that they'll be able to get me a Z-visa? If they can't get a Z-visa, then I'm really going to have to re-consider working here. Should I simply go ahead and apply for a new study visa now, which at the very least will buy me some time to keep looking at alternative positions and/or wait for them to figure out the visa issue? I should add that I would genuinely like to continue studying Chinese here, most likely one-on-one now, regardless of which visa type I have.

All advice appreciated, and I'll keep you updated!

• Like 1

When you say you've had three x visas during this time...have you left China every three months then reapplied? Couldn't you just extend your student residence permit rather than getting new visas? Just curious.

As the school have already told you that they cannot provide you a Z visa / proper work permit for at lesst a hear, I would attempt to find a new employer / school who can. Unless you want to take the risk of working illegally for the school... You are likely to be the one who gets into the most trouble about this. A potentially serious fine, deportation or being banned from returning to China for a period.

I think the experience thing probably depends more on where you live within China. When I lived out in the sticks there were a number of foreign teachers without the relevant experience. However, it seems to be more of an issue these days in Beijing.

It seems like you really want to continue to live here and learn Chinese so why take that kind of risk by working for a school on the wrong visa?

@ChTTay - Just realised I didn't really express that clearly, falling into the trap of colloquially calling everything "visas". Really, it was one X-visa when I first arrived, and then an extension of the student resident permit around every six months.

On the other notes, I completely and thoroughly agree. I'll guess I'll wait to hear what my manager says tomorrow, and if she says they can't get a work visa, or she still doesn't know yet, then I'm out of there.

@gato, Yes, I've seen it. Hmm, who I am kidding? I think my decision's already made, I can pretty much feel in my bones that their answer tomorrow isn't going to be the one I'm looking for... and if it turns out as expected, it's going to be a quick good-bye from me.

Sounds like the school has no idea and probably can't get you the correct visa. I too have heard schools need to have been in business for at least a year before they can hire foreigners. Why not cut your losses at this school and find another, the new semester will begin soon, should be quite a lot of jobs going around now.

I agree that it's unlikely that your school is going to be able to provide you with a work visa. Even if they can, it takes 3-4 weeks to get the paperwork from the ministry of whatever to allow you to apply for the work visa, so it's unlikely you will have the necessary paperwork by August 30th. So either way, I think you need to look at getting a different kind of visa. It took over a month for me to get the paperwork necessary to apply for the work visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't have a particularly useful update on this, but a quick post anyway. I've actually returned home to Australia for a little while, probably a month or two, mostly because of this visa issue, but also since I was due for a visit home at some time! I resigned from my position with that school, since I don't know exactly when I'll be back in China. Meanwhile, I will spend some time looking into both the work & visa issue a bit further, and get this all sorted (hopefully!).

Thanks again for the advice!

Not so relevant now, but my advice would be that if a school or company isn't sure if they can get you a visa, assume they can't. The processes are doable, but they're not necessarily simple and they could easily hit delays which leave you in the lurch. Have other options.

Also, anyone who is sure they can get you a visa but isn't already employing foreigners should be approached with caution - it may not be as easy as they think.