Chinese-Forums

overstayed visa / new application

ihatethinkingofusernames

ihatethinkingofusernames

I overstayed my visa in China by 75 days. During that time my passport was stolen. I applied for and received a new passport then got a new visa for 3 months. I have since returned to the states and want to apply for a new tourist visa, also for 3 months. A couple of questions: Should I disclose all of this on my visa application? With all of these details will it make it likely that my visa application will be rejected?

This is an odd one. I can't see how you can overstay by 75 days without getting a big black mark on your record ,but if you had a big black mark on your record I'm kind of surprised they gave you another three month visa.

ihatethinkingofusernames

I paid a fine and that was that. There was a police report and all that.

I am applying for a new visa. On the app it says "have you ever overstayed a visa?" Is the database of these things nationalized in China? Would that be easy info for them to find out in the states? Would it be less likely for them to find it if I pay for the rush service - giving them less time to find my info in the city system?

ihatethinkingofusernames

I paid a fine and that was that. There was a police report and all that.

I am applying for a new visa. On the app it says "have you ever overstayed a visa?" Is the database of these things nationalized in China? Would that be easy info for them to find out in the states? Would it be less likely for them to find it if I pay for the rush service - giving them less time to find my info in the city system?

I overstayed a few days years ago. When I applied for a visa recently, they asked me to write on a blank bit of paper the circumstances which led to the overstay. I scribbled something out there and then in the application office (London), handed it in with the application, and got the visa (after a few nerves) as normal a couple of days later.

Part of me regrets mentioning it -- it was on an old passport 10 years ago, and on reflection they probably wouldn't have joined the dots. But at the time I thought the risk of being caught out was worse. Dunno. Too late now though I guess.

please post back with experience. From what I have seen, they have a pretty sophisticated data system that shows pretty much all your previous visa stories in their data base when assessing your visa, even if you change passports. I would have advised to tick yes and tell the story. However, the agency might know better, let us know how it went.