Chinese-Forums

Quick Question: Which level to take

paperbagprince

Trying to apply to 清华 and a few other schools for graduate programs. The website said the following:

Applicants for programs of humanities,social sciences,arts, management, journalism and law should pass Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) band 6 or new HSK band 5−above score 180

So, I am assuming that I must pass level 5 in order to attend?

Sorry for what seems like just a simple question

This is coming from someone who got accepted into a graduate program taught in Chinese. A scholarship, a 名校, sounds like a dream coming true, right?

Do not aim at passing the minimum requirements only. The HSK means nothing, it's easy. You will need to speak fluent Chinese just to keep up with your studies. Yes, if you pass the HSK (level 5), you will fulfill the official language requirements. However, it doesn't mean that your Chinese is good enough.

If you think you can take the exam tomorrow and pass it, go ahead!

I don't know, Angelina, it may depend on the program. At my university, many programs require a high score on the TOCFL, but if you look at the reading lists for the courses it's mostly English. They want high proficiency in Chinese because you have to talk to the professors, give presentations in Chinese, etc. Now, that's Taiwan and it may be different in China, I don't know.

Now, if the OP is doing something like Chinese lit or history, or another program that will require large amounts of reading in Chinese (modern and 文言文), then I agree that his Chinese needs to be as good as possible and then some, but then he hasn't specified.

OP, I find it useful to look at the Chinese documents in these sorts of situations. They're usually more clear than the English translations.

Thank you for your direct reply, Angelina.

Acutally, I was originally going to take the HSK level 6, and still plan to. However, I wanted to just make sure I was understanding my requirments. I will not take HSK 5 and 6, because just in case I do not pass 6, I have 5 to fall back on.

I do think my Chinese should be good enough for the program, but at the same time, I know it will be a major challange. Still, that is why I am doing it. I know I will struggle a bit at first, but that is okay. And I am hoping that most of my work and readings will be in Chinese.

• Like 1

My experience (way back in 2007) was that I got a conditional acceptance to a Chinese university. One free year of language school (on my scholarship) was included. Then I would take the HSK; passing the HSK would allow me official acceptance into the university.

I'm not sure if this system is still in play. Make the call and figure it out, if you're worried.