Chinese-Forums

Dispute with housing agent, now he says he will keep my deposit

joshua.r

This afternoon, just 2 minutes away from having the majority of my deposit money back, I lost my composure when the agent said he would charge me for the extra days (today is 9.2, my lease ended 8.31). I actually cleared the apartment on the 30th, but because I didn't come to return the key until today he wants to charge. This being the apartment he forced me into after the apartment I signed on for reportedly developed electrical problems that required immediate repair. The apartment where a roach crawled up my leg. The agent to whom I had given 1,000kuai for his finders' fee. Whose assistant who would unlock the door without knocking to show the apartment to prospective tenants. Anyhow, I got a little upset.

I pointed out that the contract (written in Chinese & English) clearly says I have 10 days to return the premises after the lease expires. The agent then said I could have another 20 days, even 30 more days but no money. I said I was going to the police. He said go ahead. I left. Now I have a lot of pride but no qian.

I would really like my money back. I haven't actually gone to the police yet. My Chinese is still not so good, though I can explain the basics of what happened I likely won't comprehend the officer's response and I doubt the officer will want to repeat it for me 3 or 4 times. Is there any recourse here other than apology and hoping for mercy? This is in Beijing. And I leave China in 2 weeks.

I can imagine it influences your feelings, all the history however is irrelevant.

The contract may state 10 days to return the premises, but does it state that it's free and no fees/rent has to be paid?

Then, you may be entitled to the money but is the amount involved worth all the trouble? I imagine that two days rent is not that much, and the longer you wait to return the premises the more rent will be due.

• Like 1

Did you call them in August and actually make an appointment to give back the keys on Sept. 2nd? If not, for god's sake let them have those extra days. I understand their point cause if you have the keys, you haven't in fact handed over the apartment, but are over-staying.

Go back, say you're sorry for getting angry, and you'd like your deposit, minus however much (and at this point, take any reasonable amount). Give face. If an hour or three of being polite and reasonable don't do any good, go round to the police station and ask for their advice in dealing with it and if they can help mediate. See what they say...

• Like 1

Dispute ended...

I remembered that whatever I think is unfair about this situation doesn't compare to what a landlord back in the USA will attempt. So I sent an apology by text, arranged a time to meet and took the money that was left. Thanks all, next time I will try to post something useful.

• Like 1