Chinese-Forums

Lost Foreign Expert Certificate

ninman

So I worked in China for a year until May this year, and after I left I didn't return my FEC to the school, because I didn't know I had to. I've since lost my FEC, and don't have a copy of it, and I recently got a new job in China. My new school tried to apply for a new FEC, but they can't until the old one is cancelled.

I can't get the old one cancelled until I make a public announcement in a local paper, but that paper requires a copy of the FEC to post the announcement saying I lost it.

I'm just wondering, is there any way around this? Will any newspaper do, or does it have to be a specific paper? What is the purpose of the public announcement? I have a job in China, and a signed contract, and this bureaucratic technicality is the only thing preventing me from going and taking up employment.

Can anyone give me any advice?

From this site (http://www.fzwcbggw....12/1211/61.html) it seems that the newspaper just needs the info from the FEC, not a copy itself. The site just mentions the name of the employer and the number.

Would you or your former employer have the number for your foreign expert certificate somewhere? Your former employer should (if they are competent) have a copy of your foreign expert certificate somewhere, but I know that's not necessarily the case.

Would your new school be able to find that out from the people they are talking to about getting a new one? I'm sure that info is in a system somewhere...

Also, what city are you in?

Apparently the Shaanxi government didn't need a public announcement. But my former employer called them to confirm it, which pissed them off, so they changed their minds and said now they do need it. I can't get the public announcement without a file from the government proving that I had an FEC in the first place, and the government won't give me that. What they're saying is "sorry, you can't work in China anymore".

• 1 month later...