Chinese-Forums

Tourist L Visa (as of Sept 2013) - ho(s)tel reservation instead of letter of invitation?

Ruben von Zwack

edit:

When I read that an invitation letter is required for a Tourist L Visa, I was unneccessarily panicking. Meanwhile, I found that under the "old" regulations (before autumn 2013), a hotel reservation was as good as a letter of invitation. So if this still applies*, then my problem is no problem at all.

*If any of you know to the contrary, then please do let me know!

I will still post an update, cause I will be receiving my new travel passport only about 3 weeks before departure (yeah I know :roll: ), which creates plenty opportunity for things to go wrong :wink: and who knows, maybe someone will find it helpful or interesting.

A photocopy of your hotel and flight reservations as well as well as a short description of what you're planning to do on your travels should suffice for the visa.

At least it does for the Chinese consulates in Germany. I just got my L visa a few days ago.

Just look for booking services which allow you to book your hotel without having to pay in advance, and will allow you to cancel or shorten your reservation

without penalty. I usually book with HRS.

It'll be fine for getting the Visa, and you can still modify your reservation later. It's never been a problem for me. If you decide to change your plans and travel to another city, your new hotel will take care of the police registration, so it's not like you're trying to hide your whereabouts from anybody.

Hello Yorin, thanks a lot! I'm in Germany too.

I've never booked with HRS before, seems I should look into this. For the Visa, do you book a hotel for the whole time of your trip in advance? It just seems like a lot they will take from my credit card then, even if I know I'll get it back later, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

The Consulates don't deal with Visas anymore, that's part of the new regulations. And when I travel individually - as opposed to booking a top notch guided 2-week group tour with Studiosus or Gebeco - the travel agency where I got my plane ticket has no business with my visa.

I've never booked with HRS before, seems I should look into this. For the Visa, do you book a hotel for the whole time of your trip in advance? It just seems like a lot they will take from my credit card then, even if I know I'll get it back later, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

Some booking services will make you pay in advance, some won't. I've never had to pay anything in advance for HRS bookings, although I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if this applies to every hotel you can book on HRS.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a question. I just got turned down to apply for the tourist visa. They said because i Have three visas from some time ago in my passport that I now need an invitation letter from a resident in China. Hotelbookings are not enough anymore. They said its part of the new rules. Anybody heard about this? Its kinda crazy idea, basically they are saying, oh you have been too often too china please don’t come anymore?

If i do get an invitation, I have to write down on the visa form I will yes staying at his place my entire stay?