Chinese-Forums

Chemistry Question

pyroglycerine

在0C时气压计内汞柱高760mm, 在该压力时,通空气3ml入管内汞柱降至570mm,求这时空气在气压计内所占体积.

I really dont understand the meaning of this question for my chemisty class.. please help. I just dont get what the question is...

Please note where the verbs are.

The "main" verb is 求. Equivalent to "Find...".

Once you have found the verb, you would want to find the noun arguments of the verb. In standard formal Chinese, especially that of a technical register, you can get very long descriptions modifying the noun.

Note that 该 is an adjective in an attributive (some might even say determiner-like) position, which in this case refers to "such"/"this"/"aforementioned"  condition.

Also, the use of 所, which marks subordination of a clause, is also very characteristic of this linguistic register. See which verb follows.

I feel like the sentence could do with some extra punctuation though: 入管,内...

Once you get used to enough questions, they mainly follow the same patterns. In my limited experience, there are many fewer tricks involving linguistic issues with science examination papers in China compared to the British exam boards (at least at the end of secondary education).

EDIT: Your translation on the other forum isn't bad. But the interpretation hinges on whether 该 or 改 was used. In the experiment (and with the usual allowance for poor language skills), I'd say both phrasings are acceptable for secondary school science.

Hi,

I understand the question as follows: First you had standard atmospheric pressure at 0 Celsius outside and (almost) 0 pressure in the barometer above the mercury column, therefore the mercury column stands at 760 mm. Then you inject 3ml of air (3ml at the given temperature and pressure) into the barometer and the mercury column goes down to 570mm.

What is the volume of the injected air above the mercury column?

Hint for the answer:

The ideal gas law at constant temperature states a relationship between pressure and volume, also known as Boyle-Mariotte law. You know that the pressure dropped by a factor 190/760 which conveniently is 1/4.

Cheers

hackinger