Chinese-Forums

Does Letter of Invitation from individual in China requires a stamp?

kevinwangjk

Hi all,

I'm new here, and have some questions regarding applying for Tourist (L) visa.

I am a Chinese citizen living in the US, and my girlfriend is a US citizen. We are planning on going to China before Christmas, so we need to get her a L visa soon in Chicago.

Right now we only have plane tickets booked, but not hotel. So I assume that we need to provide a letter of invitation. I'm thinking about writing one on my Mom's behalf since I am not in China currently.

My question is, does she need to have it authorized (stamped)? I will have her scanned Chinese ID attached.

I thought we don't need to, but when I called the Chicago Consulate, a lady who didn't seem to know what she was talking about (but again, she works there) told me that I need a stamp on the letter.

Thanks,

Kevin

I just had this done for a recent visit to China and didn't need to have the invitation letter stamped, but it did need to be signed (note however that this was from Australia not the US, but I don't imagine the requirements are going to be any different).

No one will care if you sign it on your Mum's behalf.

Make sure the letter contains your girlfriend's full name, nationality, sex, passport number, date of birth, duration of the visit, and who will be taking care of accommodation and associated costs.

So I assume that we need to provide a letter of invitation.

Why not just do what everyone else does? Don't mention your mum, or anyone else on the form. She is going to China to see the Great Wall and the Terracotta Warriors like millions of other tourists every year.

Because the requirements for L visas have increased over the years, and now, at least in some places, unless you can provide an itinerary with fully-booked hotel confirmations for each night of stay, you may not get a visa.  For that reason, it's often simpler to have a letter of invitation from someone saying you'll be staying with them.

Another question:

So I just saw my mom's ID, and realized that the address on the ID is outdated. Should I:

1) Use the outdated address on the application form and just assume they will never check so it should be okay.

OR

2) Use the current address on the application form and assume they understand the address on Chinese IDs are not always current.

I remember when I was in China, no one would go and update their ID whenever they move.

It does seem to vary.   My parents just showed a 5 day hotel booking for a three week stay, and no other questions were asked (from Australia).

Last year when I tried almost the exact same thing from Melbourne I was told it wasn't good enough and I needed accommodation booked for my entire trip.  I had to then go and book that and come back again before they would process the visa.

This year I decided it was easier to get the invitation letter.

I don't think it really matters what address is used I doubt anyone will check it.  For reference the address I used was also outdated but same as the one on the ID.

• 8 months later...