Chinese-Forums

XuetangX open courses -- great resource for advanced learners

brickholz

Just got wind of an interesting resource for (very) advanced learners.

If you're not familiar with the MOOC (Massive Online Open Course) phenomenon, MOOC refers to university's efforts to put their course materials online, for free. 

edX is one of the organizations devoted to the idea, and it used to include only some elite American universities like Harvard and MIT.

But now, at xuetangx.com, some Chinese universities have jumped on the bandwagon. Very cool, if you ask me.

You can take university-level courses, in Chinese, for free. There's a History of Chinese Architecture course, some electronic-y and computer-y stuff, and what I think is an archaeology class, but I'm not sure.

I haven't explored it all yet (my Chinese isn't good enough!), but I bet some of the readers here would love it. Check it out!

• Like 3

That's very interesting. I have used Coursera and Edx for long time and some time ago i checked the websites in order to see if they had a course about Chinese language, there isn't any course yet like that but they introduced some courses made by Chinese universities in Chinese language..better than nothing :) I think they should be very good resources..I'm not an advanced learner yet but I think  it could be useful also for me..before I had to search those courses on Edx website, it's good that they made a unique website where they collect all the courses made by Chinese university..as soon as I have free time I'll try it..I wonder if they have some English subtitles or even just Chinese subtitles..it could be helpful..Did anybody try it?

• 6 months later...

Perhaps also of interest is Guokr, which looks to have Chinese translations of many of the MOOC courses available through Coursera and perhaps others. I haven't looked at it in detail, but if anyone wants to take a look and tell us what they think...

I think what's happening is that the Coursera content is getting translated by volunteer translators.

• 1 year later...

I'm at a loss as to where to post this notice. Mods, please move it if there is a better place.

These 2 MOOCs from PekingX may interest some people here. None offers English translation but transcripts and Chinese subtitles may be available.

中级商务汉语 - 入职与营销篇 
Intermediate business Chinese - Recruitment and Marketing
Starting 8th October

中国互联网金融实践  
Internet Finance in China
Starting 8th October