Chinese-Forums

Pronouce your chinese name right or u'll look foolish

blizzardhhj

HI GUYS~

First post in this group.

Well, I'm a chinese college stduent. i once joined in a english club to practise my oral english,and there was a foreign teacher who was from

england,and he told us the joke----

HE was used to live in taiwan ,and he had a chinese name which was given by his close chinese friend, that was 博 仁 满 which pronounced as "bo2 ren2 man3 "

Well, in china the three characters is meaningful. "博" can be used in the word "博学", "广博",etc.It often means one person who has a lot of knowledge or has a width breadth of mind.

The character "仁" is one of the "五常(wu3 chang2)"(which is "仁""义""礼""智""信") that often used to describes one person that is kindhearted

And the character "满" refers to that something is full of something

i think here my teacher's friend may wish my teacher full of the two spirits "博"&"仁"

When he returned to england,and he was proud of his meaningful chinese name and told everyone of his friends.AND when he tought his friends how to pronouce it ,they often laughed at him "hey man,how u gotta such an foolish name?"

Here he stopped telling the jock and asked us why, we thought for a while ,and pronouced the three charaters again in the "foreigner way"

WELL,IT SOUNDS LIKE "BORING MAN" :D:D

I'm not good at telling an english joke ,i hope u r laughing~ :mrgreen: