Chinese-Forums

Chinese Radio Stations

Sinofaze

Can anyone recommend a radio station to listen to in China?

I'm learning Chinese and want to throw myself into listening to media in the hope of picking up local dialect.

I'm based in Henan and would prefer links to online radio and live-streaming.

• New Members

Probably not the dialect you are looking for, but you can try Hit FM in Taiwan.   There are at least 2 well-known indie musicians that have regular deejay shows (OH night DJ
Waa (Waa Wei) and ROCK DJ  ciacia)   You can see the schedule HERE:

I don't understand the language, but I listen to a lot of Chinese indie music, and I enjoy listening to Waa's show a few days a week. There is a helpful site that lists the songs she plays during the show, and also blogs her comments during the show.   (sometimes the blog is delayed by a day or so, but the playlist is updated daily)

:)

You'll only hear the local dialect on Henan radio if you listen to shows where members of the public can call in. The hosts all speak standard Mandarin.

Bearing that in mind, a good local station is Zhengzhou's News Radio FM 98.6. It has a mix of news, people calling in for advice, traffic information, quizzes, and some music.

I can't help with your question (though I'm curious myself as to what people will recommend), but just for the purpose of disambiguation: what do you mean by "local dialect"? Do you mean fairly standard, yet colloquial Mandarin? Do you mean Henan-tinged Mandarin? Or do you mean Henanese? I ask because you say you're learning "Chinese", which normally indicates Mandarin, so perhaps what you really mean is authentic colloquial Mandarin?

Radio Chinese Plus - free iPhone app.  They support both mandarin and cantonese radio stations (3 of each).  The only downside is that they are based in the US..but they do discuss anything, they aren't just limited to things happening in the US.